Time Capsule: advanced router features?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cantello, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Cantello macrumors member

I am looking into either a new wireless router (draft-N) and a NAS system, or the Time Capsule as an alternative.

Both are roughly similarly priced, so it depends on other criteria.

What I was wondering now is if the TC offers the same degree of customisation as a regular router, e.g. DHCP with fixed addresses based on MAC address, port forwarding, etc. Is it possible to run 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands simultaneously to support older devices?

If yes, is this only accessible from a configuration utility on the Mac or via a web interface from other computers (PCs for example) as well? Apparently (according to the manual on Apple's site) there is only a program for Windows & Mac, what about other OSes, are they left out in the rain?

Thanks for helping! :)

Helge.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

there is no web interface. u have to use software to configure.

you can assign dhcp leases based on mac address and you can do port forwarding. if i remember correctly u can also enable both 5ghz and 2.4, but i'm not 100% i sold mine as i'm use to better firewalls and decided to keep my m0n0wall setup

3. Cantello thread starter macrumors member

The port forwarding part sounds nice, the Win & Mac-only part not that much. I have no immediate needs for a firewall, but I guess I'll have to look into it in more detail... For example if 2.4 & 5GHz can be used simultaneously.

Thanks for the answer, though.