Time Capsule Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bcburrows, Nov 8, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

So I am thinking of getting a time capsule. One of the new 1TB models, I would buy it from John Lewis as they provide an automatic 2 year warranty, so that if the new models succumb to the 18month life span, I would be able to get it sorted.

Anyway my questions are

1) Essentially at present I have a different router for the internet and want to know if my computer can use my Cisco router for internet and the time capsule for wifi back up.

2) Can the new models be used for an itunes server? I want my music on there so that my PS3 (which I would connect via ethernet, can play music from my itunes (current wifi method takes too long via the mac/ps3 media server)

3) I presume I can partition the 1TB HDD to three partitions - 1 for mac time capsule back up, 1 for Windows 7 back up, and 1 for itunes server and videos etc?

4) Does anyone know of any software that enables windows 7 wifi back ups - that would be great.

5) Can an external USB hard drive be plugged in and used as a media server if the time capsule hard drive can not?

Thanks very much for any help you are able to give

Cheers

Ben

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

1. Yes. Make the Time Capsule a child device of your existing router.

2. Probably not. At least not out of the box. But that's not really what the Time Capsule is meant for.

3. You presume incorrectly. There may be a hack, but there is no way to do this with the Airport Utility. External drives you can make this work - just partition on a Mac then attach to the TC. But for the internal drive, you're stuck with the configuration it's in when you get it.

5. No. It's still limited by the firmware in the Time Capsule.

It sounds to me like you might be better served by a beefier device (a home server for example). I think you're straying a bit far from what the Time Capsule is actually designed for.

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Apple and other people seem to suggest it can be partitioned to two drives - networked hard drive and time capsule, so was wondering about three partitions?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm pretty sure you can... but I don't have a Time Capsule to play around with.

2) Yes, but describe your proposed setup. You can put a computer (PC/Mac) and have iTunes installed. Enable the proper network options, and point iTunes to access music from the Time Capsule HD. Not sure about PS3/ethernet.

3) Again, I'm pretty sure you can. But the file transfer speeds will be like 1 HD since it's got 1 SATA connection and not 3.

4) I recall Windows 7 has some built in program that does this, called Windows Backup and Restore Center. See if that does the job for you.

5) No, at least not the PS3 via ethernet setup. You can buy a TV HD media player. Western Digital, Seagate, Roku, etc had such products. You can plug in an external HD to it and connect that media player box to the TV. They usually cost $100-$200 and should have 802.11g/n networking built in.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

If you've read that it can be partitioned, you've either been misled or you've misunderstood. You cannot partition a Time Capsule internal drive in-place. The administrative software cannot partition drives, and Disk Utility cannot partition a network hard drive. You have two options:

1. Create a disk image on the time capsule drive and use that as a "partition"

2. Take the device apart, remove the drive and attach it to a Mac, partition it, and then put it back in the device.

6. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows