Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I know using Airport Disk for backups is unsupported by Apple, does this mean that anyone here has found it unsafe to use? I was looking at time capsule, but I'd be insane to spend $500 on Time Capsule when I already have a 1TB drive in place. I'd like to backup both a Macbook Pro and a Macbook, but if it's going to be unreliable I'm just going to skip it and plug it in directly.

Also, it looks like the format of the backups since putting the drive on the network has changed. Now it backs everything up as some sort of funky disk image, rather than something that I can browse without using time machine. Don't want to necessarily lock myself into something that I'd need time machine to get to later.

Actually, the only reason I'm even asking this is that I can't seem to get the Macbook to back up to time machine. It finds the drive and starts backing up, but gives me an error message every time it tries to do a full backup. Not very productive. I've also noticed that time machine behaves sluggishly on the MacBook PRo now that I'm backing up across the network, but I guess 802.11n still isn't fast enough for flawless performance there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.