Time Capsule + AirPort Express, does AirTunes work with N devices?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paragonj, Mar 2, 2008.

1. paragonj macrumors member

I was a part of a discussion awhile ago about setting up a dual network with a Time Capsule (for N devices) and an Airport Express (for G devices). It was a good discussion, but the only question was whether or not Macs connected to the Time Capsule ('N' devices) would be able to use AirTunes.

Has anybody tried this setup and tested this scenario? Thanks.

2. jvo73tii macrumors newbie

I followed that thread pretty closely paragonj. I had a Time Capsule and two AirPort Expresses on a single b/g network with three laptops. I noticed quite a bit of lag so I went on and setup one 802.11n (5GHz) network and another 802.11 b/g (2.4 GHz) network.

After setting up the "N" (5GHz) network for my MBP, I connected one of my AirPort Expresses via ethernet to my Time Capsule and created a separate "b/g" network. Then, I had my other AirPort Express wirelessly join the "b/g" network with AirTunes enabled and a printer attached (I have an external HD connected to the Time Capsule.). I did this all manually under AirPort Utility as the assistant wasn't cooperating with what I wanted to achieve.

Here is my uncertainty on everything. Initially, I was able to connect to either network and not both at the same time. I had to be on the "b/g" network to access Airtunes. I think I wanted what you wanted paragonj where all the devices worked together on a single "N" network. I was under the impression that if I wanted to use AirTunes I needed to be connected to my "b/g" network. However, at this very moment, I'm connected to my "N" network and I was able to print a document while iTunes/AirTunes was playing music.

Ultimately, I'm baffled at the moment because AirTunes is working while I'm on my "N" network. It's doing what I wanted it to do! If anybody has an explanation or trying for the same scenario, I'd love to hear it. I'm new to the Mac scene but I've been lurking here quite awhile. I hope this helps.

3. elberggreno macrumors member

Sure it'll work, the Time Capsule (or AEBS for that matter) detects the Express Airtunes function trough the ethernet cable.

so you go like this

wireless N -> time capsule -> ethernet -> express airtunes

and if you're on the b/g network

wireless b/g -> express airtunes

4. JW008 macrumors 6502

Could someone link that discussion? My TC should be here tomorrow and I was interested in doing this.

Besides reading about it, I had a quick question. All I need to do is physically connect the TC with the Airport Express and then I SHOULD be able to set up two separate networks using Airport Utility?

Thanks!

5. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=420866

Theoretically, that's how easy it should be. jvo73tii indicated above he had to set it up manually.

I'm picking up a Time Capsule tonight (assuming they are in stock at Tyson's Corner). I'm holding off on AirPort Express for now, since The Apple Store's 1-2 week shipping date leads me to believe some type of updates might be coming soon.

For now I'm going to try and set up a Dual 5GHz/2.4GHz network with a Linksys router that I already have (obviously minus AirTunes functionality). Based on the reviews I've read, this should be pretty easy, but we'll see.

Hopefully they will update the Express soon (with 802.11n, pretty please Apple) and I can pick up two of them (one to replace the Linksys and run my b/g network, and the other to expand either the 5GHz network and feed my stereo with AirTunes)

6. JW008 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. If you don't mind, after setting up TC and the Linksys posting how easy it was, I'd be mucho appreciative!

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

I have my network setup almost the same as you, so I think I know what you're talking about. :)

You really only have one TCP/IP network in your house, and your Time Capsule is managing it (giving out IP addresses via DHCP, routing stuff to the Internet when needed). Your Time Capsule offers access to this TCP/IP network via its wired Ethernet ports and the "N" wireless network you setup.

The Express that's hooked up via Ethernet to the Time Capsule is running in 'bridge' mode, meaning it's not doing anything other that providing access via its "B/G" wireless network to the same TCP/IP network that the Time Capsule is managing. It is not acting as a router, nor does it give out IP addresses.

So even though you have two different wireless networks in your house, they provide access to the same TCP/IP network.

It's early for me so I'm not sure if that explanation helps any. :eek: