Time Capsule/Airport Express/Ethernet question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Allenbf, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Allenbf macrumors 6502

Hi, this might not be quite the right place to ask this question, so please forgive me:

My home is wired for Ethernet in every room. I am buying a Time Capsule and also an Airport Express to increase my wireless network. I do not want to simply extend the network, as I understand it will reduce overall speed.

The internet cabling enters the home at one point, in the laundry room. Big gray box/service panel.

Can I simply install the modem in this box, thus making every ethernet port 'hot,' and then plug the time capsule in at my desk, and the express across my home in the family room?

Thanks!

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You will need an ethernet switch to distribute to all the ethernet ports in your rooms.

3. Allenbf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

A switch won't be what you need. You'll need a router at the laundry room to distribute IP addresses to all of the Ethernet ports.

Is your modem also a router or is it strictly a modem? If it's the former you can just use the Extreme and Express in bridge mode to have them act as wireless access points. If it's the latter you will need to either use the Extreme as a router between your modem and the Ethernet ports in your Laundry room, or use a wired router in its stead and again set up the Extreme and Express as wireless access points.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I think you need to be a little more specific.

Are you using a router now? getting internet? Or is that ethernet cabling just that, cabling only? By "modem" are you referring to something your ISP gave you? Like a cable modem?

Do the ethernet cables all enter a box of some sort already? Or are they just separate cables?

Even if you use cable, you need a router. If you already have one, that could be it. If it's already routing and sending to the different rooms via ethernet, and all you're trying to do is attach the AE and TC to use as wireless access points, then they probably can be configured in bridge mode, and probably you want a roaming wifi network (one big one instead of separate ones; description on how to set it up should be in the documentation with the TC, or check on Apple's site. If this is the case no need for a switch or other router.