Time Capsule = Airport Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Diversion, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

According to Wikipedia

"The Time Capsule is a fully featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station[5] and supports all the same features as the AirPort Extreme Base Station, featuring the same set of ports on the back. Modifications upon the design of the AirPort Extreme Base Station include the addition of the storage hard drive for backups and NAS type file storage which will be available to both Macs and PCs (after installing supplied drivers) on the network. The Time Capsule measures 7.7 inches or 19.7 cm square and 1.4 inches or 3.63 cm high;[5] slightly larger than the AirPort Extreme Base Station and closer to the Apple TV (previous generation model) in volume. This is partly due to the internal power supply which eliminates the requirement for a separate external power supply, enabling a direct connection between the household power outlet and the back of the Time Capsule."

I was almost en route to grab a 2011 model Airport Extreme Base Station but also wanted a Time Capsule.

Does this mean I can skip the Airport Extreme Base Station all together and buy a singular 2TB or 3TB Time Capsule and it acts EXACTLY like the Airport Extreme Base station while giving me awesome backing up features??!?

If so, i'm getting a Time Capsule!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

3. Diversion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Diversion

One more question,

I currently have the Linksys E4200 (highest end home unit) which has a USB port that I can hook a HDD up to. I'm assuming Time Capsule won't be able to work with this setup? If I can save $300 because I already have the hardware, i'd rather save the money.

But I want to be able to wirelessly backup..

Thanks,

Jay

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I can't find any information that shows that it's compatible with Time Machine backups although I did find that it is compatible with HFS+ formatted drives. However, I think it also needs to have AFP file sharing for it to work with Time Machine. The only information I found said that it has SMB/CIFS file sharing with no mention of AFP (so it might not work despite supporting HFS+).

If you have the equipment, you can always try it. Format an external HDD as HFS+, connect it to your router and see if you can set up Time Machine to use the drive. If not, I would suggest a NAS that supports Time Machine rather than purchasing a Time Capsule as your router seems to be quite a good router already. Synology makes a great line of NAS enclosures that do that.