Time Capsule/Airport Extreme External Access?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phenixdragon, May 26, 2010.

1. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I picked up my first Mac about a 2 weeks ago and over this past weekend I picked up a new Time Capsule. Originally I bought the Time Capsule to wirelessly bridge to my Linksys router running DD-WRT (mega) but apparently the ethernet ports won't work on the Time Capsule or the Airport Extreme when connecting them to another party wireless router.

So i have taken out my Linksys and am now only using the Time Capsule. The reason for the Time Capsule is to have backups on it and that for some reason I do have wireless issues with my Linksys that I am not having with the Time Capsule. Such as when I had a iPhone I would lose my wireless signle a lot and have to reboot, same with my iPad and sometimes with my Nexus One. So far none of those issues with the Time Capsule.

I'm not missing much from my Linksys but one of the things I miss is being able to open up a browser from any network connection and being able to connect into my router. Is there a way with the Time Capsule / Airport Extreme to be able to access the configuration settings when not on the local network? Such a when I am at work I want to be able to access the configurations page.

Thanks!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The recent versions of AirPort Utility and firmware will allow you to remotely access the configuration of an AirPort router if you set up Back To My Mac with it, and assuming you have bought in to the MobileMe service, and have also enabled 'setup over WAN' in the manual setup options of AirPort Utility.

3. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

I remember seeing something about that. But is there a way without MobileMe? Or even connecting without a Mac?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in a nut-shell - yes. but it requires you to have a computer connected to the network, otherwise the answer is no :( apple hasnt provided a web based implementation

5. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Hm...well I guess kind of a workaround is setting up my Windows 7 Media Center with the AirPort Utility and RDP into it since this box runs 24/7.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats always an option. i take it you have a static IP?

7. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

I don't but I also have Windows Home Server running most of the time and and it has it's own URL (ie. yourname.homeserver.com) that I use. Basically I have the Time Capsule port forward 3389 to my Media Center address and I just have to use that URL and I'm connected. However, it would be better to have some type of service such as DynDNS and have that updating from the Time Capsule. But I don't think that's possible?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you want to access your Media Center (a computer?) storage from external? if thats correct, then its possible :D i do it every day.

setup port forwarding (NAT etc) on the TC and away you go.

9. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

That I do have setup already. What I was originally asking if there was a way to connect to the Time Capsule directly from the net, which sounds like isn't possible.

But what I am curious is there a way to run a service such as DynDNS from the Time Capsule since I have a dynamic DNS. I currently just use my Home Server URL which automatically updates to Microsoft what my current IP is. But there are times I have the server such, such as when I'm out of town. It would be better to have something like DynDNS running directly from the Time Capsule.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh right. i am with you now - you are referring to have the "IP updating" software run on the TC. unfortunately that is not possible :( there are certain brands of modems such as NetGear and linksys that support dyndns and will also have the web interface to interact with :)

11. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Ya my Linksys that I am replacing could it. I was running the DD-WRT firmware on it. Amazing software. I rather keep it plugged into my network but there are several reasons why picked up a Time Capsule and unfortunately when i join it to connect wirelessly to my Linksys the ethernet ports are not usable anymore on the Time Capsule. Even though this thing is way less powerful (software) then DD-WRT there isn't much I am missing from it. I know I can configure things behind the router to do what I want, it's not ideal but it works and outweighs the going back to how things were.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh i see. thats very odd that the ports do not work. i assume that it has something to do with the setting in networking and the way that the TC handles routing addresses etc with another device plugged in. currently i have my TC plugged into another router, and all works fine for me.'

my TC gets an IP address from the router, and then the TC gives out its own IP addresses for every other computer (more secure in a way).

13. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

It will work with a wired connection, just not with the wireless bridge unless it's bridged to another Apple router.

14. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Apple chose not to have a browser configuration utility in their routers, so you won't be able to just connect any computer from the WAN, but the AirPort utility does have an option "Allow setup over WAN". I've never used it since it seems insecure, but you would then be able to connect from any computer with the AirPort utility installed from anywhere on the Internet. I would think Back to my Mac is only needed if you are going to run the AirPort utility from a Mac inside your network. That would be a very similar setup to your proposed one of running Windows Remote Desktop to your Windows Media Center box and then having it run the AirPort utility (which seems like it would be more secure than leaving your router open to connection from the Internet, anyway).

As far as running a dynamic DNS client, it is probably just easier to keep running that client from your Windows Media Center box. I run a Dynamic DNS client from a Linux server that is running 24/7 at my house to update my DNS records at ZoneEdit. I had it that way when I had a D-Link with a built-in Dynamic DNS client, and kept it when I upgraded to an AirPort.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:eek: i forgot about that feature - which makes it possible, i would be a tiny bit worried about the security of it though yes. it would only let specific things in though which is i little bit better. worth a try for sure.