Time Capsule + Airport Extreme + powerline = HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheChinski, Aug 27, 2010.

1. TheChinski macrumors newbie

Fellas, if you can work this one out, you are way ahead of me ...

Basically, I am trying to use 3 x 1GB powerline adapters to hook up my imac and mini via my time capsule to a elgato netstream dtt live tv streamer in a "wired" configuration, leaving the time capsule wifi free for TV streaming on ipad and macbook pro. I also have an Airport Extreme "n" base station to extend the range of wifi into the garden etc and to act as a repeater for the mac mini and netstream.

So this is what I have in each room:
    Room 1 has time capsule with cable modem in WAN port
    Room 2 has imac
    Room 3 has mac mini plus netstream (cos of coax aerial feed) - both fed into an airport extreme working in wireless bridge mode, extending the time capsule network.

NB - the netstream needs to be plugged into a router to distribute its signal. All other kit (except the airport extreme) needs to stay in the room its in.

Under wifi, the above all works but TV is slow if on imac and another wifi device or if other network activity occurs like backups etc. So, I've tried to hook up as follows...

What works fine:
    imac connected to time capsule via 2 x powerlines with imac off.
    But of course, we don't yet have mini or netstream connected.

As soon as I turn the airport extreme on, things screw up and the imac can't access the Internet - but sets the ethernet port with a whacky IP like 169.254.92.91 instead of, say 10.0.1.7. if I turn wifi on, its better again.

I've tried with and without a 3rd powerplug connecting the airport extreme to the network. I've also tried the latter with and without wifi turned off on the airport extreme (leaving it simply in ethernet bridge mode with no wifi). But still the imac gets that weird ip address and no internet access until I turn wifi back on - then fine.

I'm obviously looping the network or something weird - but I just can't figure what!

Can I tell my imac to only talk directly to the time capsule or something - and tell the airport extreme to do the same - and tell them both (imac and airport) NOT to talk to eachother???

Or should I put it all back on eBay, lol ?!

Thanks,
    Chinski

2. TheChinski thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I've diagnosed the problem if not the solution.

I'm using one set of 85Meg homeplug adapters to connect the cable modem with the WAN port on the time capsule - and a set of Belkin Powerline HD adapters to connect computers to a LAN port on the time capsule. Everything else taken out of the loop.

Basically, the Belkins are talking to the 85meg homeplugs - which i was assured they could not! But when I replace one or both of the sets with a long ethernet cable, all works fine - but together, no cigar :-(

No longer a mac issue, suppose I'll have to look elsewhere ...

Thanks,
    Chinski

3. anileda15 macrumors newbie

Hi Chinski

How did you set up the airport extreme? which mode?
    I am trying to do the same set up as you described but I dont know how.
    I have a Time capsule which is giving the line from the basement to my living room through belkin gigabit powerline adapter and from there I want to take the line into the airport extreme and forward it via cable to my receiver and also distribute over wi-fi.

4. Saluki macrumors newbie

I am wondering if these video links may be helpful & is there is any truth in these videos that I saw recently,
    "PLC-adapters have been proven to perform better with Surestreamer " in You Tube.
    If it is true, then it will be good news for all PLC fans and may be for Airport Extreme fans too incorporate Apple wireless devices with Powerline Adapters.
    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84C7k1dJzMw&feature=related
    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6Jn48Svvc&feature=related
    3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuQgf-T7oA&feature=related