Time Capsule/Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scollie41, Nov 21, 2008.

1. scollie41 macrumors newbie

So I have recently been flooded with issues regarding technology around my house. I have just sent my PS3 in for a warranty replacement (which was a smooth process), have gone "wired" after my well-loved Netgear 802.11B router would not work well with my new iMac and just the other day, my hard drive crashed on the new iMac.

Thankfully I do backups periodically so I should not loose a lot of data. I have not been using Time Machine because my external is not large enough to handle the backup (it's around 200GB and the iMac is 320GB). I have started looking at the Time Capsule as an option for backing up as well as to replace my router and get N connectivity. Is this a smart all-in-one purchase? I've always thought the Airport Express Base Station was overpriced so I was considering getting a Linksys router.

Also, for backups, I'm not sure I need the wireless capabilities of the Capsule. I built my current external using a MacAlly enclosure and could do the same for about $100 to get a 500GB external that I just daisy-chain in with my existing drive.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

I got the 500GB TC a few weeks ago. I love it. It's nice to have it back up wirelessly. It's a little slow though...

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, if you need the router, and want to use Time Machine, Time Capsules are perfect. It is especially good for laptops but even with an iMac you will free yourself from a lot of wires by plugging your printer into it.

Do your first backup with your computer attached by ethernet. After that, if you want to run wireless, TM is not a problem.