Time Capsule & AirTunes w/ Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sir42, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I currently use my Airport Express as my wireless router. It's also plugged directly into my stereo so I can take advantage of AirTunes, which I love to do.

I was thinking of purchasing Time Capsule, but I suppose there's no way I can take advantage of it's 802.11n capabilities and continue to use AirTunes on my network?

2. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's another thought, if I bought Time Capsule, would I be able to setup two different networks, one for Time Capsule and another for airport express? That way I could take advantage of 802.11n on Time Capsule and use AirTunes?

3. sondhead macrumors newbie

You could, but you'd have to choose AirTunes or TimeCapsule. Your computer can't connect to two wireless networks at once.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Two things come to mind:

1)Buy a cheap G router and use it to extend a second g-only network (Ie place the router in bridge mode) that would be used to connect the expresss.

2)You could also try connecting the express to the time capsule via ethernet and use it to create a g access point. Don't know if the airtunes could be used when its in that mode.
    More on that here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=164341

In both cases you will have two separate access points (a g and n-only) that both will access the same network (ie you would have access to the same computers and devices regardless of which access point your connected to); just the express access point will be slower then the time capsule since it will be g-only.

5. Gurganus macrumors newbie

You can use the APE as a USB printer/AirTunes bridge via Ethernet without actually enabling or using its Wifi network. I do this now (use my modem/router as the wifi base station, but connect to my printer and speakers through the Ethernet-connected APE. There is, I must add, the odd glitch when my Mac can't see them any more, which I generally fix by rebooting both APE and modem, never having worked out which is causing the problem. But it generally works.

6. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's really interesting. I wish I had known that earlier. Using that solution will I be able to take advantage of the draft n speeds?

7. ch02ce macrumors member

Hi, I too am using the same setup and am having a hard time getting answers about how this would work.

I want to buy a time capsule but would hate to lose the AirTunes feature.

If you run G and N devices at the same time, the speed is limited to G speeds, right?

IE using a G device kicks the network down to G speeds? Or can G and N devices use their full speeds?

A roomate's laptop is 802.11 G and mine is N, i would hate to be cut down all the time when she uses hers...

Thanks

8. JW008 macrumors 6502

Setting up two networks seems like the best way to keep N speeds for you N devices, but still have a wireless access for your G devices. My Time Capsule should ship this morning and this is my plan when I receive it next week.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to set up this system? That article didn't mention a way to do it. I understand that you use an ethernet cable between Time Capsule and Airport Express, but will everything else sort itself out? All I have to do is set up each base station through Aiport utility as if they're two different networks?

9. RatSalad macrumors member

This is the way I am currently set up I have it like this.

Second floor cable modem-> time capsule -> gamingpc& pc-> routed to main floor with dlink wireless. The second floor is the home office so I am hooked up with the wireless printer setup.

Here is my question. Is there anyway to extend the n radius? Do I need to buy another router to replace the DLINK with n capabilities?

10. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

This is from the Airport Utility Manual

AirPort Extreme is dual-band, so it can work in either the 2.4 gigahertz (GHz) or 5 GHz spectrum. And it’s 100 percent backward-compatible, so Mac computers and PCs that use 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or IEEE draft specification 802.11n wireless cards can connect to an AirPort Extreme-based wireless network. It also works flawlessly with AirPort Express for wireless music streaming and more. AirPort Extreme has three additional 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet ports, so you don't need to include
    another router in your network.

11. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone else given this method a go yet? How does it work?

I'm now thinking that when I get my Time Capsule I'll opt for this solution and simply connect my Airport Express via ethernet to Time Capsule so that I can take advantage of Airtunes while maintaining n speeds.

12. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

One more thing: if I connected the Time Capsule to the Airport Express via ethernet, could I achieve the following:

1. maintain n speeds for my MBP connected to the Time Capsule?
    2. stream AirTunes to the Airport Express?
    3. use my iphone via Airport Express at g speeds without knocking down my Time Capsule network work n speeds.

I'm pretty sure I read that this was possible if I create a ethernet bridge from the Time Capsule to the Airport Express, but I just thought I would double check before purchasing the Time Capsule.

13. christianzuili macrumors newbie

Airport and Timecapsule working together

Hello
    YES YOU CAN:
    The Airport Express (802.1n) can be configured as a client of the Timecapsule.
    Apple's step by step guide is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

Using AirPort Setup Assistant
    Plug AirPort Express into a power outlet.
    On your computer, join the wireless network created by AirPort Express.
    Open AirPort Setup Assistant. Mac users: Find it in /Applications/Utilities/. Windows users: On the Start menu, point to All Programs and click AirPort.
    When you see the Introduction screen, click Continue.
    Select "Set up a new AirPort Base Station" and click Next.
    When the AirPort Setup Assistant confirms that it has found your AirPort Express, click Continue. (If your AirPort Express wasn't found, click Try Again.)
    Select "Connect to my current wireless network."
    Be sure that "Extend the range of my AirPort wireless network" is not selected (this option is used only for WDS).
    Click Next; AirPort Express Assistant will scan for your existing wireless network. Once it finds it, click Next again.
    Choose the correct network (there may only be one) from the Wireless Network Name menu. If the wireless network is password protected, you will be prompted to enter the password. Enter the password and then click Next to continue.
    Note: If you have difficulty with your password, you can get help with joining a third-party WEP-protected network.
    Enter the name of your AirPort Express.
    Tip: If you don't know the name, it's what appears in iTunes as the name of your AirTunes remote speakers.
    Click Next.
    Assign an administrator password for AirPort Express. This password can be different from any network password, and is used for just changing settings on AirPort Express.
    The Summary screen outlines the configuration options you've set. Optionally, you can click Show Passwords to review the administrator and network passwords. Finally, click Next to update AirPort Express with your settings.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Reviving old threads isn't always a good idea. Especially if your doing it just to up your post count.

15. superquirk macrumors newbie

Using Airport Express with Time Capsule

Just to clarify:
    Using Airport Express plugged into Time Capsule works perfectly. There is no need for an additional router. Just plug Time Capsule into your modem via ethernet. Then follow the setup in Airport Utility. Make a new network with your Time Capsule. Also, plug your printer into your Time Capsule's USB port, if you want wireless printing (not counting the wire from Time Capsule to your printer, of course ;)).

Now plug the Airport Express into one of the remaining ports on the Time Capsule. Open the Airport Utility again and choose to change your settings on the Airport Express. Choose to make it a client of the Time Capsule's new network. The rest is pretty obvious. Voila! You're set.

P.S. you have to find your printer again in the Bonjour Printers, if you moved it to the Time Capsule's USB port.

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

This is correct.