Time Capsule Alternative Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by headshot76, Nov 3, 2010.

1. headshot76, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

headshot76 macrumors newbie

Hi there

I'm going to be getting a new (or refurbed) iMac and want some way to wirelessly back up, with the option of NAS use too.

I've been looking at various threads to try see about alternatives to the, frankly, overpriced and not-that-good-by-all-accounts Time Capsule.

It seems that attaching an external hard-drive to a compatible wireless router is the best option, but I just want to check compatibility and cost-effectiveness with those who might know before I commit.

For the record I'll be running off Cable broadband in the UK and, because of placement of cables in my house, won't be able to run a wired internet connection to the iMac. I'd also like to have my backup separate from my iMac (for security), so a wired backup is somewhat pointless.

I'm looking at getting the following:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase2.5&prodID=1831792

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-47514-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B002JCSG7G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any other options or advice gladly received. This sort of thing is not my forte.

EDIT: I've been reading various reviews that don't do the ASUS router much justice. I'm struggling to find a router that has a USB connection for an external HDD other than the Airport Extreme. My Google Fu is weak.

Thanks

HS

2. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Bump.

Love the idea of the Time Capsule, but reviews are terrible. Already have a Netgear 'N' wireless router which has worked perfectly since the day I bought it, so just need an HDD that will attach to that and perform automatic back-ups with a decent amount of reliability.

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I have a Netgear router which has ReadyShare, but it doesn't recognize HFS+ formatted drives, so it cannot be used for Time Machine.

4. macnoober macrumors newbie

Time Capsule DMZ???

I need a step by step tutorial on how to DMZ my time capsule for my Xbox. I'm hard-wired by ethernet, and I've never had any problems whatsoever(my connection is very fast). I just wanna do it to get the maximum for ping/latency, etc(unless you think it'll screw up my internet):confused:. Thanx in advance...