Time Capsule alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danpass, May 11, 2012.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Can I run a WD 2TB USB drive to an Airport Extreme and use it in the same manner as though I was using an actual Time Capsule? Cuz it sure looks like it:

Share your hard drive.
    You can share an external USB hard drive over your wireless and wired networks by simply connecting it to the USB port on your AirPort Extreme Base Station. Called AirPort Disk, this feature is perfect for sharing files and more. If you’re a MobileMe member using a Mac with OS X Leopard or later, you can even access the files on the drive over the Internet.3

The constant mention of "TC died and all data lost" in the reviews makes me think thrice about getting a TC.

How could I run a second 2tb to backup the first (cheap insurance)?

Might it be better to get a couple of ethernet housings instead and run two 2tb drives (one a backup of the other)

Because of the limitations of RAID I have no interest in that method. ([fanboi]But what's wrong with teh RAID it is teh ahsum and I heart it! [/fanboi]

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Creating a backup of a backup is generally a bad idea. At best, it gives you a false sense of security. You are MUCH better off using true independent backups. I prefer using two different backup utilities. I also strongly suggest that at least one be performed to an offsite (cloud) location. Cloud backup is extremely inexpensive now. I would also suggest that you avoid any type of backup methodology that requires any human intervention. Everything should be automatic once initially set up.

/Jim

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

its really just a copy of the first one

but I backup photos and video as well so cloud won't do it for me

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I've been using a WD 2TB Live NAS attached via ethernet to my extreme. Fully supports Time Machine (Lion) and streams well. Also has mobile apps for remote access.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The fact that it is a copy of your first backup is the limitation. Any errors (either programatic or bit failures) just propagate to the second drive. You are much better off creating a second backup using a different backup mechanism.

I also backup photos (~300GB for my 51K photos A3 library) as well as all my video. I backup 100% my home videos, as well as my purchased videos. In total, my cloud backup is 1.4TB. It costs next to nothing to use cloud backup services. If space or bandwidth was an issue, I would not backup my commercial videos since they are trivially re-creatable.

There is no way in hell that I would trust my photos and home videos to just a local backup. Any number of things can happen that makes them all be gone at once. I absolutely do not believe in manually moving data to other locations... because humans generally do not have the long term discipline to maintain copies. ... nor do I have the time or patience to be migrating the data off-site on a regular enough basis. By using the cloud... my data is incrementally backed up every 15 minutes.

/Jim

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes, I'm running a 750GB WD MyBook plugged into my Airport Extreme via USB for time machine. It works flawlessly, although read and write speeds via the USB interface are supposedly a lot slower than a regular Time Capaule.