Time Capsule Alternative???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rpc1977, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rpc1977 macrumors newbie

I have been reading all the horror stories about Time Capsule.
    What are the reliable and effective alternatives?
    I don't mind plugging the hard drive into my router, after all the wireless capability is what I am looking for.
    I am looking for 1TB of storage.
    If anyone can recommend any good make/models, I would appreciate it.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I am very happy with my TC and would highly recommend it. Remember, you will hear a lot more bad stuff than good, because those who are satisfied with their hardware/software don't make noise. :)

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

http://timecapsuledead.org/

They seem to think the heat levels are lower now they are using WD Caviar Green drives in the Time Capsule, though it's up to you if you want to take the risk.

I've got a 1TB WD My Book USB plugged into my AirPort Extreme and it works just the same as the Time Capsule.

4. rpc1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I connect an external hard drive into my Siemens router that came with from my internet provider, or not? You mentioned the AirPort Extreme, is that the correct way to connect a hard drive wirelessly?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Only if the router has a USB port and is designed to work with hard drives plugged in. You only tend to find it on higher end routers, the cheap ones packaged with your internet will probably not have this feature.

Another way is to get a NAS drive and connect it to your router by ethernet. You have to take care because not all NAS drives will work with Time Machine. You can read about NAS drives at SmallNetBuilder.

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

If you're running Snow Leopard have you had the dreaded Error 109 with this setup?

7. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm currently running my Airport Extreme with a G-Drive 750GB it has been very reliable for about a year now.

The G-Drive connects to the Airport Extreme via USB which frees up the FW800 cable to attach to my Laptop when I need to do small editing jobs.

The drive has a partition for Time Machine and another partition as a scratch drive for editing.

I like the G-Drive because it looks like it belongs to part of the mac family of products (Similar housing to a Mac Pro) and it runs very quietly for a 7200rpm drive (The housing is designed with exterior heat sinks, so no fan. Less Moving parts = less things that can break). :D:apple::cool:

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, I've been using Snow Leopard since day one and haven't come across this or any other errors with my wireless Time Machine backups.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Good to know, thanks. Think I'll test the water with this again.

10. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I've had a 1TB Time Capsule for over a year now. No mproblems at all. In fact I find nit to be very reliable. I keep it in a room in my basement that is very cool and rest it on two pencils for ventilation underneath it.

11. Fuzzy Logic macrumors newbie

Fuzzy Logic

Alternative

Hi,i have a 1TB external Drive plugged into my AirPort Extreme and it works just the same as the Time Capsule, and i also have the added advantage of plugging in a bigger drive in the future and also a printer, hth
    Regards Andy

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Time Capsule also has a USB port for sharing printers and adding external hard drives to expand the storage capacity.

13. Fuzzy Logic macrumors newbie

Fuzzy Logic

oh well you cant win em all :rolleyes:

14. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I've been using SL since day one and I only started getting this error yesterday. Is there any fix in sight for this?

15. sidefx macrumors regular

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have a few WD Studio drives that I've been very happy with. But regardless of the manufacturer, once you plug an external HD into the AEBS USB port, you'll get the same functionality as with a Time Capsule. I still have my Time Capsule but I stopped using it a few months ago. It was working great though while I was using it. I have it on eBay right now.

17. jmor macrumors 6502

I'm in between getting a time capsule probably off of ebay or something, or getting a airport extreme and connecting external hard drive

18. kap09 macrumors 6502

i'm using snow and have had this happen multiple times. finally just moved the drive back to the desk to hook it up directly

19. lukecro macrumors member

I wonder why Apple still doesn't officially support the use of Airport Extreme to hook up disks for Time Machine backups . . . Wasn't this a feature they announced years ago, and then they took it away temporarily because it was buggy, but it seemed like a bug fix was coming "soon" . . . And now, how long has it been, 3 years? I'd much rather buy an Airport Extreme instead of a Time Capsule -- given all the complaints about Time Capsules dying after a year or two, and considering that external drives are relatively cheap and more versatile -- but if I want to use TimeMachine for backups on an Airport, my only options are (1) Do it unofficially, and live with the unsupported bugginess of it or (2) Pay the extra $$ for the Time Capsule and hope that it doesn't die on me?

Maybe I'll go ahead and buy a Time Capsule. :apple::confused:

20. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

When the last gen TCs were released (1TB and 2TB, not the new 'faster' ones), I was able to snag my grandma an older 500GB one NIB from BestBuy for $125. She owns a MBP 13" with AppleCare, so that AppleCare also applies to peripherals such as her TC.

It recently had some major syncing issues (after about 6 months), so she took it in and they gave her one of the new fast 1TBs.

I would most definitely have one if it worked with damn Verizon FiOS.

21. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mine works fine with FiOS. I have it set up as a secondary access point within the house.

/Jim

22. jediknight36 macrumors newbie

Here is my situation:

I dont think TC's are a good value when you can build a NAS for cheaper per GB. I have the FIOS Actiontek router and no Airport Extreme. I want to be able to schedule my iMac and Macbook Pro to use Time Machine on the network to the NAB. Is this possible running Leopard or Snow Leopard?

23. billib macrumors member

billib

Make Your Own "BETTER" TimeCapsule

Get an Airport Extreme and THIS.
    NEWEGG sells them.

More versatile than a TimeCapsule

24. jediknight36 macrumors newbie