time capsule alternatives ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyperlinkz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. hyperlinkz macrumors newbie

hi guys,

im looking for time capsule alternative, a relatively bit cheaper and reliable.

any helps?

thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Are you looking for a router, a wireless external, or something that'll do both like the time capsule does?

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Is price the reason you don't want to buy the Time Capsule?

It's funny I was just looking into it, I have an old Linksys that I have no problems with whatsoever (it doesn't do 802.11n but I'm debating the necessity of that) ... I do need an external network drive and at the price of external network HDDs, the Time Capsule isn't priced too bad in my opinion.

I don't really think anyone makes a combination of router and external HDD, your other bet is to buy a router and connect it to an NAS.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

western digital my passport 1tb hard drive.

3 year warrenty , usb 3.0 powered and easy to carry. i use it to back up my macbook pro so its all good :D

5. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

thats what i got have you had problems transfering more then 100 gb at a time???? i have may have to return it...

6. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I tried other options. None will be as invisible as the Time Capsule. I'm going to get a 3Tb one soon.

I do portable backups also, to my LaCie 1Tb Rugged.

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

for a hard drive just buy one from the store. it works just as well as time machine.

not really sure, but if you wanted to replicate a time machine couldn't you just do a NAS to a router?

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ive restored my computer from my western digital hard drive that had 350gb of a backup for my mac. no issues.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Connect a USB hard drive to a used extreme or express router.

Out of site automatic backup

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Was under the impression that the express couldn't be hooked up to a HD, it would only do USB printing?

I just ordered three 3TB WD externals in addition to the two 1TB MyBooks I have now, a powered USB hub, and an airport extreme. Have a throwback linksys now and am sick of it.

I haven't really looked into it much so I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to run the 3TB's in RAID 0 so it's like a 9TB for .mkv BluRays and music, the 1TB's in RAID 1 to run TimeMachine backups of our 2 MBPs, and also hook up my brothers color laser printer. Hopefully that works, and in the future if I need more storage would I just be able to add another 3 or whatever externals?

If it simplifies anything, I would rather have the printer downstairs, and would also like having an express to pump music to my home theater. So if necessary I could get an express sooner rather than later, assuming it will do optical audio?

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I think you are correct, the express will not work. I picked up a current gen extreme and express for 60$. I the resold the express for 50$.

For 10$ I have airport extreme. I picked up a 1 tb pocket as well on kijiji for $30.

For $40 I have my time capsule.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology NAS or Netgear WNDRMAC and an external USB drive.