Time Capsule alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GuillaumeB, May 17, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Hi all,

I'm looking for a hard drive that I could access via wifi and eventually share inside a network.
    Time capsule looks great but I do not support this equivalence 1dollar=1euro. Sold in the US at $299 the 500GB model is sold at €299 in France when it should be €194... And clearly the US taxes do not make such a big difference..

So before asking a friend to bring one for me from the US, I'm wondering if such an all-in-one solution already exist on the market. Any idea?

2. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I studied this issue pretty diligently and finally decided on a 1 TB Time Capsule because I can use it both for automated backups with Time Machine and as a file server for iTunes and Apple TV. There is no perfect solution, of course, but you can’t beat Apple’s reliability and ease of use.

I have spent most of my time since yesterday afternoon, when my Time Capsule was delivered, configuring it to work in my setup. My first backup and another number of incremental backups since have gone flawlessly. I setup the Time Capsule on its own 5 GHz network but also connected it via Ethernet to my existing 802.11g wireless router. Only my MacBook Pro and Apple TV are on the new 5 GHz network; the old g network’s wireless clients are my old PowerBook G4 and TiVo Series3 but my MacBook can see them. The download speed of file transfers from my MacBook to the Time Capsule runs between 250 and 300 Mbit/s, which is considerably faster than it would be if the Time Capsule had both g and n wireless clients.