Time Capsule always super-hot??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zeos, May 9, 2008.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

I noticed that my 1 TB Time Capsule is always HOT. Real hot. Is this normal?

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

I have a 1T Time Capsule with a MacPro, a MacBookPro and an HP Laptop all routed thru it, with the TimeCapsule and MacPro running 24/7, and while the top of the TimeCapsule is warm, its not so hot as to be uncomfortable to leave my hand there for an extended period of time. However I would not place anything on top of the unit that would keep it from disapating any heat.

3. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

I placed a temperature probe between the TC and my desk and got a reading of 114 deg F without the disk audibly spinning. This seems pretty warm...

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Wow, that's 45 degrees :eek: (which is a lot hotter than mine I think.)

I'm in the same camp as "SDDave2007" though. This is not necessarily indicative of much at all.

Three things to think about:

1) You don't give any actual information that would allow anyone to access the situation and answer your question. Like what kind of Time Machine it is, how many machines it backs up, where you have it seated, what the "normal" room temperature is as a comparison, what kind of probe you used, and about a dozen other factors that might be affecting it.

2) If you search the forums you will find *hundreds* of posts about how Apple computers and devices can get really warm at times (especially the ones without any fans inside). The standard answer is that if the computer doesn't melt, burn your hand, catch fire, or fail because of said heat, then how hot it gets is actually completely irrelevant.

3) How hot is "super hot"? ;)

5. Zeos thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's that hot in the middle of the night when I'm only running my iMac on it. And it's hot enough where you always have the faint smell of heated plastic in the room. :eek:

6. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Okay, if you smell hot plastic then something is definitely wrong. I'd call Apple, or take it back to the Apple store and swap it out...

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yes. In their infinite wisdom (or a typical inability to get the engineering sorted out in the rush to get it looking right, depending on your view) the TC fan blows downwards, and not very effectively. It's worth giving it a slightly smaller platform than the unit to stand on for best ventilation.

8. ljones macrumors regular

I placed 3 pairs of nickels under my TC in a triangle layout. Seems to allow more airflow to vent the heat from around the TC. Mines not hot and I never hear the fans, unless TM is doing a very long backup.

9. blurfonz macrumors regular

Just got back home and found out my Time Capsule is on fire. (kidding)

I mean its so HOT!! Of course the fan sound is very audible. Its trying to cool the heat down.

Wow. So warm!!