Time Capsule and 10.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unconsoled, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Hey everyone.

I had a quick question about Time Capsule. I know it isn't out yet but I was hoping someone might be able to answer this.

I really want to get the Time Capsule when it comes out(whenever that is). I have a MacBook Air and my wife has a 12" PB. We never back anything up. I think Time Capsule is ideal. The only problem is my wife is reluctant to upgrade to Leopard so Time Machine obviously won't happen for her. Will Time Capsule still work for her as a wireless back up drive? For "Shared Drive" on the Apple site it says system requirements are 10.4.8 which she has.

Just curious. I really want it when it comes out and I am trying to sell her on it.

Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe you're supposed to use Time Machine with it for backups, so i don't see how it'd work without Leopard since Time Machine is a part of it.

3. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

That is where I get lost. The site says for the shared disk 10.4.8 is required but the site also says that the requirements for Time Machine is Leopard. The airport part is any Mac with an Airport. So this leads me to believe that if you wanted to use Time Machine you need Leopard, but you can use the drive itself as a back up (without Time Machine)if you have 10.4.8

4. rhyx macrumors 6502

Her computer will be able to access it like an external hard drive to copy files back and forth but without Leopard it will NOT work with Time Machine for automated backups.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i think she can use it, it just wont be automatic. She will manually have to use it like a standard external hard drive without timemachine if thats what you are trying to figure out.

6. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought. Sweet. I think she will go for it if that is the case. Plus the faster Airport for me will be great. :D

Thanks for the help

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I believe Shared Disk is referring to the usb shared disc that can be plugged into it. Whether a Tiger machine can see the time capsule drive is another question. But I don't see why not.

8. arklab macrumors member

Hmmm...
    Just an uneducated thought, but since Apple claims that Time Capsule will work with all computers on your LAN (even Windows PCs), it should certainly work as a network drive on other Macs (with whatever OS version).

It also would seem possible that Apple may release a software app. (again for both Mac and Windows) that would have "Time Machine-ish" functions - at least if they want to position their new product as anything special in the overall market.

I here they will already sell an iPhone to Windows only people, so who knows? :)

9. bizflorida macrumors newbie

Time machine and 10.4.~

Hello!

Here is my predicament.
    I had formerly been running leopard 10.5.something, and had been using time machine as a backup. Soon afterwards, my harddrive failed. Unfortunately, my leopard disk is in another country where I will be returning in a couple of weeks. I do, however, have my original 10.4 disk which came with my black macbook.
    Strangely, I cannot access my backed up files. I'd like to see my videos, photos, projects, and etc. but I cant. The error message reads:

The volume for "Pictures" cannot be found.
    Inser the disk or connect to the server volume and wait for it to appear on the desktop, then try again.

The folder itself appears to be an alias, but to itself. Very strange.

My external harddrive is connected via firewire and is a terrabyte WD drive. I thought I could restore my computer from the myimage.iso that is located in the USERS file in the backup, but couldnt find a way. I even tried opening the different backups, but to no avail. I tried most of them.

Is this an issue of 10.4 not being able to read those files made in time machine via Leopard?