Time Capsule and Comcast

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by austin571, Feb 15, 2014.

1. austin571 macrumors regular

Just upgraded to a mac mini and thunderbolt monitor from my 24 inch iMac. My back up had to also be updated as it would not work with the new computer. Got the Airport Time Capsule. Guess they do not make just a time capsule anymore.. I was also told that the TC was so much faster than Comcast.
    After some other problems with Comcast (when it rains heavy their equipment on a pole gets wet and their service goes out) - I got a new Xfinity modem/router gateway.
    ried to set the Comcast in bridge but then could not set up the TC.
    So I set up TC in Bridge plugging into the WAN and not the LAN.
    Thinking this would set it up as only a back up. Is it normal to have it showing a network and IP address?
    Just want to make sure all is good to go and I will not have to deal with Comcast again (until it rains).
    Is the TC really faster than Comcast - should I bug Comcast some more to set Comcast up in Bridge?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

As far as I know, the TC’s have always been Airport Extremes.

Comcast what? Comcast is an ISP, not a backup device.

After some other problems with Comcast (when it rains heavy their equipment on a pole gets wet and their service goes out) - I got a new Xfinity modem/router gateway.

Yes, it is a network device.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it is. The new tower shaped TC supports 802.11AC and the XFiniity router only supports 802.11N. Either is likely capable of faster speeds that your Internet connection, but the AC connection would give you much faster wireless speeds to other AC devices inside the house.

You should be able to put the TC in bridge mode and just use it for wifi and you would get the benefit of the TC's faster AC speeds. The XFinity router would only handle handing out DHCP IP addresses, while the TC handles wired and wireless networking.

4. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I bought the 2TB version a couple of months ago and posted this -

I just installed my new Airport Time Capsule. I read that it might improve my WiFi speeds but didn't expect this. I usually saw speeds in the 40-45Mbps range when doing tests on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Just did 8 tests and saw speeds that ranged from 71 Mbps to 90.73 Mbps for downloads and 10-11 Mbps for uploads (that didn't change. These things fly now!!!

I have Comcast's Blast service.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Best thing is get your own 3.0 modem and use that with the time capsule. Their all in one (aka a dory) suck, and and you pay a rental fee. Why pay rent on something that you can get your own and have it paid off in a year?

6. COrocket macrumors 6502

I did this with a Motorola surfboard that I bought. It makes sense economically because it eventually pays for itself. The only risk is that if the modem breaks, you have to buy another or deal with the warranty process.

If you rent one from comcast and it breaks, you can just take it to a local office and swap it for a new one.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

True, but I had mine for 3 years and, and if it breaks and I have to get a new one I still save money.

8. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Xfinit, never heard of Blast. Since I have phone service with Comcast, I have to use their equipment. Since it is close to the computer I hooked up a ethernet and did a speed test - got the same reading. Can't figure that out. I would think that wired would be faster.

----------

Ok - Keep things simple here:) I have the TC in bridge mode. The Xfinifty is not in bridge mode. Now I have the following networks - Home and Wi-fi - both are wi-fi just the Home is Comcast - wifi the TC. Again the cable from comcast is plugged into the WAN on the TC.

Plugged an ethernet into the comcast hoping for faster speed - got the same readings.

Should I do something different? Thanks for the advice and patience.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you're getting the same speed - wired or wireless - then your comcast service is the limiting factor. Your wifi speed is likely faster than what comcast is providing you.

But, computer-to-computer network speed inside your house has nothing to do with comcast.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Time Capsule is indeed an AirPort Extreme with a hard drive. In reference to your question, do not try to make the Time Capsule the DHCP and NAT server. Comcast does not support PPPoE and therefore uses DHCP. If you are able to log on to the Comcast/Xfinity Gateway, then disable the wireless on it. Leave the DHCP alone.

The Time Capsule should be set to Bridge Mode and will connect using DHCP. Do not confuse how the TC connects to the Gateway with what the Time Capsule is doing.

If you have a simple modem, then the Time Capsule functions to hand out IP addresses, as well as do NAT. In this case, the Time Capsule gets an IP through DHCP to the gateway. Then acts as an Access Point to the gateway. Essentially, the Time Capsule is acting as a wireless switch.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... sounds like you are in good shape. Like xraydoc mentioned, it looks like your internal network speeds exceed your Internet speed anyway, so you are good to go. I would just ignore the "home" wifi and use the TC "wifi" for wireless.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

No you don't. You can buy your own EMTA (modem does both phone and internet). Also, go to a payment center and ask for an EMTA that doesn't have wifi built in (aka Dory). This will solve your issue, and you don't have to worry of something is in bridge mode.

Also Xifinity is Comcast.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should not just "ignore" the other network. It should be turned off as all it is doing is causing interference, and occupying space on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would be optimal, but the OP mentioned he is having difficulty getting Comcast to help him put the XFiniity device in bridge mode and turning off the wifi. The TC by default will automatically ignore the nearby channels, so this it not going to be a problem just leaving it on.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The OP can do a couple of things here. Disable the wireless on the Xfinity and keep DHCP on. This will bridge the TC and use it as an Access Point. The second is to fully bridge the Xfinity, as in pass the public address on to the Time Capsule and let it handle DHCP for the "private" LAN. The third is to leave everything alone and let the Xfinity broadcast and potentially cause issues later on.

You say it is fine now, but if neighbors start hooking up strong wireless networks on the same channels as the TC, the TC cannot take the Xfinity's channel space. There are just three non-overlapping channels in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. If the Xfinity takes one, then the TC is left with one of two that the neighbors already took and must take the weaker one. There is no harm in it now, but if people start changing it around then the OP will have issues. I understand what you are saying, but for the sanity of the OP later on just disable the wireless at least.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I already said, what you described it optimal, but the OP is having a tough time getting it done. Unless OP lives in an apartment building with a dozen wifi networks nearby he is not likely at all to have any issues.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Fair enough point. I am sure that Comcast writhes at the thought of helping a customer. They wouldn't let me bridge a modem as well until multiple attempts. They don't get their reputation for no reason!

18. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

I know Xfinity is Comcast. Another member said they had Comcast Blast. Never heard of Blast before.
    I got the equipment in Sept of 2011 and when I went to get an upgraded one, the rep told me that the one I had was just released less than 6 months ago. She either did not know what she was talking about, or the "modem carries" came in my house and upgraded me without me knowing.

Comcasat used to charge for their super service types calls but now they do not. Waiting for a problem before calling. If anyone needs it 877-443-3596.

Also if you have problems with Comcast - kgot to Best Buy and talk to the comcast person - ask for a "Get it Right" card. Gives you a number to call with a case number assigned. They actually call back and check up every now and then. Had a problem with Comcast's equipment in a box on a pole - everytime it got wet - we had no service. After 2 years of aggravation - the get it right department got it done.

19. austin571 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow - the Get it right tech who handled the water issue taking out my service just called about my internet speed - he boosted it - now it is double time.

Still have the TC set as bridge and such, but until there is a problem - let sleeping dogs lie.