Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AusAnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
For several years I had a DLink WiFi router. I have a networked (ethernet) Brother MFC-9440CN multi function centre, which I have had plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router, installed the MFC as a network MFC on our computers, and used the router as a wireless bridge. Worked perfectly.

Then about 6 months ago I replaced my DLink with a Time Capsule. I cannot work out how to create the same setup as above. It only seems to want me to connect it as a USB printer. So that's what I have done and it works fine for printing, but with the old setup you could scan from the MFC, it let you select from the MFC screen which computer on the network you wanted to send the scan to, and it all worked remotely and wirelessly. But with the USB setup on the time capsule, the only way we can scan is to take a computer in to near the MFC, unplug the USB from the time capsule, and plug the USB directly into the computer.

Am I missing something - is there a way to set this up like my old setup?

Thanks,
Ant

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It should work the same as before. Does the printer have a static IP address? If so, you may need to reassign it a different IP address within the range of the Time Capsule (default 10.0.1.xxx), or you may wish to use DHCP and allow the Time Capsule to assign the IP address dynamically.

The original D-Link was running as a bridge? If so, have you set up your Time Capsule as a bridge as well? What kind of setup do you have exactly? Who's your ISP and do they provide a combo modem/router or just a modem?

Also, the print server on the AirPort Base Stations are not multifunction print servers, so any USB connected printers will only be able to print. No scanning or copying to computers, etc. So to use scanning on your MFC, you'll need to connect it via Ethernet.

AusAnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply. The IP address was something I struggled with - allowing the network software on the computer search for the MFC when it was plugged in via ethernet didn't work, so after a bit of trial and error I found the IP address range and gave it a fixed IP. The computer could then see the printer but I still had problems getting it working.

When I say the DLink was working as a bridge, I didn't do anything special in the setup that I recall, it just became a wireless extension of the ethernet MFC cable plugged into the back of it. Is there something special I need to do in TC setup to make it work in this way?

My ISP is Shaw Cable (Vancouver, BC) and I have a stand alone cable modem from them, which connects via ethernet into the TC. So it's cable in to cable modem then ethernet to TC, then two laptops on WiFi, and a USB connection at the moment from TC to MFC.

BTW I consider myself reasonably computer literate for a home user, but I'm no IT expert, so maybe there's something in setup I have missed. I did struggle when it came to assigning IP addresses. However I did a lot of googling when I initially had the problem, and I came some info which suggested ethernet MFC's didn't work through TC, so I gave up and stopped trying for a while. But now thinking about it, that sounds so wierd that any sophisticated device like TC wouln't be able to perform the same functions a basic router from 5 years ago could do?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thank you for the clarification. So your Time Capsule (as well as your old D-Link) is working as a router and shouldn't need any special setup. What IP address did you assign to your printer? Is there any way to set your printer to obtain an IP address automatically? And, sorry to have to ask this, but have you reset your Time Capsule and printer lately? Also, do you have the latest drivers installed? Oh! I just had an idea. Have you deleted and re-added your printer since getting the Time Capsule?

I can look up some literature on your printer and search a little when I get home. Hopefully you can get this working. Having a multifunction printer connected to my Extreme, I can tell you that they should work. Granted it's not connected by Ethernet, but there should be no reason why it would work with Wi-Fi and not Ethernet.

AusAnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
It was a while ago when I assigned the IP address, but I think I could see the computers on 10.0.1.1 and 2, so I went .3 for the printer. I would imagine the MFC can obtain IP addresses automatically. Back at the time, I did full uninstalls of the drivers and software, multiple re-boots of computers, TC and printer etc. And yes, I always download my drivers from the Brother website and have had the latest ones installed at least at time of making any modifcation.

But hearing your positive response has made me think maybe I gave up a little too easily last time - I'll dig a little harder at home tonight and see if I can work something out too.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.