Time Capsule and Existing Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IslandAndy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. IslandAndy macrumors newbie

Is it possible or even worthwhile to piggy back my Time Capsule with my existing home router? Currently using a nice router from the Tv company that supports all of my cable boxes via wifi, TV, blu-ray, iphone, apple TV etc. It hasn't arrived yet and I'm new to the mac world with my new Mac Mini and the TC coming next week.

2. wytwolf macrumors regular

It can be done, you simply have the TC in bridge mode. Unfortunately for me I had major issues even in bridge mode. My macbook pro would get a response from the router stating the IP was already assigned. Without the TC it's perfect. Was really hoping for the TC to work but i exchanged it for a thunderbolt HD.

3. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

And an easy cure for that is to never have the same DNS/gateway, example, 2 devices, one is 192.168.1.1 and the other is 192.168.2.1, it is much better to have them far apart like 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1

4. wytwolf macrumors regular

I had the Time Capsule in bridge mode. It was not assigning IP's only the modem/router was. The modem/router supplied by my DSL/fibre provider would not allow me to turn off the router function.