Time Capsule and Express WDS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moswalt, Sep 3, 2010.

1. moswalt macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use my Time Capsule as a base station and an Airport Express to extend my network to connect to a DirecTV receiver. I've connected the Express to the receiver and it shows up in the list of networks when I open the Airport Utility (version 5.5.1). It sounds like I am supposed to open settings for my Time Capsule (base station) and check "Allow this network to be extended" which I have done. Unfortunately all the information on setup that I can find states that there should be an item in this panel that you check "WDS Main" in order to tell the system that you want to set up a WDS network. I cannot find this in this version of the utility. I cannot select the express station on the utility without it attempting to "switch to a different wireless device" which takes my Time Capsule away from the list of devices. Does anyone know how to proceed with this setup?

2. DUNDER macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    I know the post is rather old and you've probably already solved the issue somehow. Either way I have the same problem. From what I can tell from the utility is that the Time Capsule software doesnt support WDS at all. The express does tho, that I'm sure of. What I did to by-pass the problem for now until I've had some time to look further into this is that I've made my TC the base station of my network and then extended the network with my express station to be able to stream music. Tho all the streaming services I want to use isnt accessible via an extended network and I think it is with WDS (not sure yet)

When the express is a slave to the network as extended you will be able to access both of your devices from your AirPort Utility.

If you have a better solution to this yet, please let me know.

Daniel