Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venmarkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I just converted from Dell to Mac with purchase of a MacBook Pro. At the advice of two salespeople in my local Apple Store, I bought a Time Capsule 1TB for use as a wireless base station for my apartment and to back up my laptop and my two external hard drives, which have 400 GB and 250 GB of video files.

I just bought and hooked up the computer last night and this am. I am using the TC as my wireless base station without problem. I have attached the two drives to the TC with a USB hub, and I can access files on those external drives wirelessly throughout my apartment.

I now want to back up my files onto the TC. Since the MacBook Pro is new, I have almost nothing to back up from the laptop. But I want t do be able to backup the stuff on the external drives to the TC.

How do I do that? I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere. For that matter, I cannot even seem to move a file from one of the external drives to the TC. I can only move them to the Documents folder.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
On your menu bar you should have a symbol that looks like a clock, click on that then click "Open Time Machine Preferences"

or

Apple -> System Preferences -> Time Machine

Should be pretty self explanatory from there, I never did something like what you're looking to accomplish though :)

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You can't back up the external drives if they are connected to the Time Capsule itself. They need to be connected to the computer for Time Machine to back them up.

You can manually copy the files to the TC. All you would need to do is mount the TC and the HDD and copy the files over. In your Finder window, you should see the hard drives and the TC listed under Shared (or something along those lines, not at my Mac ATM). You may have to check your Finder prefs to see if Connected Servers is checked in the Shared section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.