Time Capsule and FiOS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellen, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

Hi, I own a Time Capsule (which after 18 months is still working fine - knock on wood). I am considering switching my Internet service to Verizon FIOS. The Verizon rep told I would probably receive an Actiontec modem/router, but I could disable the router function and continue to use the router function of the Time Capsule. If anyone here has a similar setup, would you be able to answer these questions for me?

1. Is Verizon right - will my Time Capsule work with FIOS?

2. The Time Capsule is n and I think the Actiontec is g - is that going to limit my speed? (I was hoping the opposite would be true.) I am probably signing up for the FIOS 25/25 plan.

3. There's a USB port on the Actiontec modem but I haven't found confirmation about attaching a hard drive. If I ever stopped using the Time Capsule and decided to use the router function of the Actiontec modem, could I attach a hard drive for Time Machine backups?

4. I also plan to buy the Sonos ZonePlayer wireless music system and would have to connect to one of the Ethernet ports on my router a Sonos "bridge" device - if I continue to use the Time Capsule as the router will I still be to be able to attach other devices to it?

Thanks in advance.

2. nickcliborne macrumors regular

1. Sure does but not as your router.

2. You don't have to use the wireless of the actiontec. I have no problems maxing out my wifi on my FIOS.

3. Mine doesn't have a usb port but I doubt its use is for connecting a hard drive.

4. Sure you can connect the sonos to your time capsule or the actiontec. I sold mine because I think it's crap.

My FIOS actiontec terminates the internet and I use one of the ethernet ports to connect to my time capsule. I turned off the wifi on my actiontec and only use wifi from my time capsule.

3. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - Just curious, what were your Sonos problems?