Time capsule and iTunes Service

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peeaanuut, Sep 14, 2012.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

So I have seen on the Drobo and a few other NAS systems they offer the iTunes service. Now from what I understand they offer a "shared" library and has some limitations, like I cant stream to the aTV with it, etc. But, if I were to connect a USB drive to my Time Capsule and run it as a network drive, would the TC serve up the iTunes library in the same capacity as those other NAS systems or does the TC not have that service?

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The TC has a USB 2 port where you can connect a printer, an external HDD, or a hub and any other USB peripherals. You can relocate your iTunes content to the drive attached to the TC, and it will stream to your ATV, assuming your wifi network is strong. I am doing that now - I stream from my MBA's iTunes library which is stored on a 500GB HDD attached to my TC.

The downside to 3rd party systems is that at any time Apple can change the way they allow networked drives to connect. I have read of situations where Apple has updated OSX and the 3rd party NAS drives no longer worked correctly. I THINK they just lost their ability to use the drives for Time Machine, but I guess there is always the risk that they stop working if Apple changes things. They need to ensure that the TCs work as promised, but not the 3td party hardware.

3. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

im more looking to have a shared library on the network without having to have one particular computer on. I know the aTV wont read that share, but instead of always having one computer on sharing, I could have the service running and sharing and then I could have just my phone reading the shared library or just my iPad or just my macbook. I used to not worry when I had the mini as I just tucked it away, but it bit the dust and my main computer is the iMac.