Time Capsule and MacBook - Help with connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dylanbrown, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I have a 500GB Time Capsule which I use for Time Machine back-up's, as well as wireless router for my MacBook, Apple TV, iPod touch, iPhone and PC.

I only receive G speeds through by ISP, as currently it's the fastest speed available in my area:(

Anyway, as I said I all the devices above connect to my Time Capsule, all of them wirelessly, except the PC, for which I use a home-plug.

I have a modem/router, which acts as the modem for the TC. It also broadcasts it's own wireless network.

The TC is set-up as bridge mode, so it's gets all the info from the modem/router, and re-broadcasts it. Both devices have different SSID's and channel numbers. (TC = channel 8, modem/router = channel 1)

From my house, none of my neighbors access points can be reached.

Anyway, so that was the set-up, here's the question:

All my devices connect to it fine and are enjoying very fast speeds. My MacBook however is having issues. I have to constantly use it over Ethernet, as using it wirelessly is impossible.

It will be fine for a few minutes, loading pages wirelessly fine. Then it will all stop. Safari will try to load a page for a few minutes, then eventually give up, I have also tried Firefox, as well. If I try to access the iTunes store or download a podcast, it always fails. So therefore, I have to use Ethernet - on a laptop!!

Now, just to say, I am (at most) just 40cm away from the TC when I am accessing it wirelessly, and it still fails to load a page.

I contacted Apple about the problem, since then I have been given a case ID and have called about 3 times, firstly, we reset the TC and manually set it up, secondly they did a bit of troubleshooting and thirdly, they told be to go through each of the channel numbers.

Over a week, I went through each of the channel numbers 1-13, and found that 8 was the best, although it still wouldn't load a page after using it constantly for a few minutes.

So, it's OK for a few minutes, loading fine, then I'll have to switch to ethernet, or restart my Mac and connect to wireless again, then restart 5 minutes later. With my other network in the house this is not a problem.

The strange thing is though, while the MacBook won't load a page, my iPod touch works fine, and my Apple TV is happy to stream a podcast/movie trailer (Obviously, I don't do this when working on the MacBook).

Anyway, can any of you guys help me? I am going to be calling AppleCare up tomorrow about this (As it's a Sunday over here, their offices are closed). So, if anyone knows anything that'll help, I would greatly appreciate it!!

2. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

This issue has been sorted, finally - faster internet!!

3. jochenfrey macrumors newbie

Hey Dylan,

What did you do to fix it? I have the same problem!!!

4. sdtodd macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am having the same problem. My Powerbook and Imac work great. My Macbook is the only one having problems. It loses signals and stops the backups. Of course the problem machine happens to be my wife's computer.
    Her solution - Throw the Time Capsule in the trash and go back to the Airport Extreme!

5. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

How I fixed the problem...

Hi all,

There's a few ways to fix the problem (That's why I haven't posted them) but if you want help or advice, you can PM me

Thanks

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Is it not the purpose of a forum to post your fix?!

7. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, everyone has a different set-up, and there are around 15 (or more) different ways to resolve the issue. Instead of writing a long forum post with troubleshooting tips that my not be relevant to some people, I feel it's better not posting the fix, and to give the correct info to every person.

Yes, I suppose the purpose of a forum is to post my fix, but that's a whole lot of writin'!