Time Capsule and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ks-man, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I will probably be buying a MBP when the update happens. I'm wondering if anyone has bought the Time Capsule yet and how it works as a backup function as well as a router.

I currently have a Linksys 54g router for my computer (Dell Desktop). Once I get my MBP I figure I have 3 main choices (to use for internet for both my Dell and MBP).

1) Buy a Time Capsule and use Time Machine (likely would get 500GB)
    2) Buy an airport extreme for wireless N (would not use Time Machine)
    3) Continue using my Linksys router

My two main questions get at how much better would using the wireless N of the Apple router be over my 54g router and how well does Time Capsule work and do people here think it is worth ponying up the extra $$ to get it. Also, would the hard drive from Time Capsule be accessible by my Dell computer for files?

Thanks in advance.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If Time Capsule works as advertised -- good integration with Time Machine AND good router performance -- it will be a great product. I'll give it some serious consideration the next time I'm looking to upgrade my router. Unfortunately, it's not yet available, so no one can say just how well it works.

If you are planning to buy a new router and a backup drive for your MBP, Time Capsule is a serious option. If your current router serves you well and replacing it is a want rather than a need, no one can make that decision but you.

Wireless N will provide faster connection speeds (as long as you don't have a 802.11g device on the network): simple web browsing will not reveal the faster speeds, but file transfers and streaming will show improved performance.

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize it wasn't yet available.

I'm assuming that Time Capsule could easily be replicated with an Airport Extreme and hooking up a 500GB USB hard drive to the Airport Extreme. Do people like the AE as a router or are there better routers out there?

4. EddieZ macrumors newbie

Airport + Disk =/= Time Capsule

Hey KS-Man - regretfully, you cannot just add a disk to your Airport for Time Machine use. Doesn't work.

I have a Drobo hooked up with a DroboShare, and I was able to get Time Machine working across the network, but it took some work and some trips to drobospace (the community) to see how folks were doing it.

- Eddie