Time Capsule and modem won't play nice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Joe King, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Joe King macrumors 6502

I usually connect to the wider world via the wireless network provided by my Time Capsule, which in turn is connected to the internet via a non-wireless ASDL modem.

A few days ago the ADSL modem gave up the ghost. I have bought a replacement but I can't get my Time Capsule to communicate with it - all I get is the blinking amber light and Airport Utility tells me there is no internet connection.

The modem is definitely working - when directly connected to my MacBook Pro via ethernet cable, I can get on to the internet no problem.

As far as I can see, the root of the problem seems to be this: my original ADSL modem had an address of 192.168.1.254, which matches the router address that appears under the Internet tab in Airport Utility.

My new modem, however, has an address of 192.168.1.1. It seems to me that the Time Capsule is still pointing to the old .254 address but there seems to be no way to change this setting in Airport Utility. I am running Lion with Airport v6.3.1.

Any ideas anyone?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

Make sure you power cycle everything when you change your modem

Power modem and airport down for 10 or more seconds. Then plug them both back in.

Modems tend to only like to talk to one device at a time. And that will be decided when it powers up. So if you have your computer plugged to the modem, that will be the one device until you reset the modem.

3. Joe King thread starter macrumors 6502

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Your modem's running as a router, you'll need to change it to Bridge or Gateway mode.

5. Joe King thread starter macrumors 6502

Hard reset of the Time Capsule finally solved the problem. Thanks everyone who took the time to reply. :)