Time Capsule and new windows computer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noobinator, Dec 24, 2014.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I just got a new cheapy windows laptop and am using a wifi usb dongle (having driver issues with the built in network adapter).

I'm using this dongle:

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-781...F8&qid=1419440111&sr=8-1&keywords=edimax+wifi

I only get about .5mbps on this laptop. On my iphone and mbair im getting around 70mbps. When I tether the laptop to my iphone using hotspot i get 8-10mbps.

What could be causing the slow speeds? Is there a setting in the time capsule?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What transmit rate are you getting from the Time Capsule to the wireless adapter?

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

.5mb/s

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is that your speed test rate or the connection speed to the TC?

6. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

How exactly do I measure my connection speed to the tc?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can see in the AirPort Utility and by going to wireless properties on the PC. Perhaps we can find you a good driver for the internal card? What model PC is it?

8. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Asus x205ta. Can't find the data you are requesting.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is inside of Network and Sharing Center. It will say Speed: 135 Mbps for instance. You can download drivers from ASUS for the internal card here. Did you wipe it and load a different OS?

10. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

It says 150mbps. Yes u have windows tech preview on it. I crashed the old win 8.1 and couldn't get 8.1 to activate and I didn't want to buy a copy so I used the tech preview. All the other drivers from Asus work in the tech preview but the network adapter driver will not load or install. Error update.cpp

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

First of all, if you had an activation error both ASUS or Microsoft could help you. Installing a preview version of Windows in an effort to avoid activation will only lead to headaches later. I would recommend that you go back to Windows 8.1 in all honesty.

12. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Microsoft said to call ASUS and ASUS said I had to send them in my laptop and would get it back in 4-6 weeks. This laptop cost me $99. I'd toss it in the trash before having to send it in and wait 4-6 weeks. (shipping it to them at my cost)

I'm just going with the option that will get it up and running (which it is, albeit slowly).

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have a product key on the machine or the box that it shipped in? I have experienced some issues with Broadcom cards (which your ASUS has) in Windows 10 that I am sure will be fixed by the final release. How did you get it for $99?

I think you should go back to 8.1 and I am more than happy to help with that. That being said, there is no reason you are getting so slow speeds with the USB adapter since it has a 150 Mbps transmit rate. Is it on 5 GHz or 2.4?

14. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I got it for $99 from Best Buy during a sale in November. It is 2.4ghz.

Thanks for offering to help. Here's my issue in a nutshell:

Computer stopped booting. Wouldn't even let me restore, refresh or anything. The only thing I could do was a fresh install from usb. So I got a copy of 8.1. I did not have the original key it came with so I used a generic key.

Once I got 8.1 installed I looked up the original key using some program I downloaded. I tried using it to activate but it said, this key cannot activate this version of windows. So I called microsoft. They said the reason is that I downloaded 8.1 and my key is for a special asus version of windows called 8.1 with Bing. Microsoft does not offer this version as an ISO to put on a boot disk.

So I called asus. They confirmed what microsoft said that I need to load 8.1 with bing and my code won't work with 8.1 regular version. They said they no longer offer recovery hardware (dvd/usb) etc for windows 8.1 and I should have made a restore disk. yes my fault but i didnt.

So they said my options are to purchase a valid 8.1 key and I'd be done with it. Or if I want it set up to look as new I could send it to them and they'd install 8.1 with bing on it and it'd activate with my code.

So on another forum I told this story and someone suggested tech preview since I can get past the activation issue. Everything went perfectly with the drivers. I installed all the drivers on asus's website but got that error on the network adapter one. So I bought this $8 wifi dongle that is super slow.

I wouldn't mind putting 8.1 back on here but I'm not buying 8.1 for a hundred bucks or whatever it cost since this laptop was only a hundred bux.

So that's probably more than you want to know but I've explored many options over the past few weeks. I appreciate any help or insight you can offer.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

PM me.

16. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I wanted to use the onboard adapter again and I was able to restore back to windows 8.1 thanks to altemose and everything works again now!

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it works! Report back if you have any issues. Are the speed tests where you want them?

18. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601