Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorenzo Muan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
I've done the research, but can't find the answer to this:

If I get TC can I use it simultaneously both for automatic back-up and wireless storage/retrieval of other files that are not on my macbook)?

Can this be done with AEBS + external HDD?

thanks!
L.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You can use the TC's internal HDD for both backup and a wireless file server, but it's not recommended. My suggestion is to get a TC, use the internal disk for TM backups, and connect an external USB HDD to it for use as a wireless file server.

You can achieve the same with an AEBS and a partitioned USB HDD (or use a powered hub with multiple HDDs), but TM over AEBS is not officially supported by Apple so they will provide no support if it fails.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You can achieve the same with an AEBS and a partitioned USB HDD (or use a powered hub with multiple HDDs), but TM over AEBS is not officially supported by Apple so they will provide no support if it fails.

Speaking as someone who owns a Time Capsule that recently failed, it doesn't matter anyway — because Apple won't do anything for you (other than replace your Time Capsule) if the device's internal drive fails.

They don't offer recovery options, and it's difficult for them to troubleshoot regular Time Machine errors much less Time Capsule-based Time Machine errors.

Personally, if I had this to do over again — I would have at least been able to use repair tools like Disk Utility with an external drive connected to an AEBS.

I would get the AEBS, a USB 2.0 hub and two external drives (one for Time Machine, one for AirDisk), and rely on the Mac community for Time Machine support if you have problems.

Testify

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Can we TM with 2 Mac on the same USB HD connected to AEBS ?

We got a AEBS not long ago and now we have an iMac and a MBP in the house... could both of them TM on this setup?

I know that Apple won't support me if its fails.. but anyone here running this configuration?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Yup. It will work. Make sure the HDD is large enough for the both of them and you'll be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.