Time capsule and spotlight errors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bcburrows, Jan 30, 2011.

1. bcburrows, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Hi

Wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

Macbook pro 2009 model 15 inch top spec model
    OSX latest software from apple - all updates installed

Just noticed the following
    Spotlight - indexing but never finishes
    Time capsule - I can see the time capsule on my desktop and via time machine but latest backup is from over a month ago and can not back up at all. The software tries to back up, it prepares the back up but never actually backs up the data.

I have now back up all my data now and am at the stage of wiping and re-installing everything, something I thought I should not need to do. This is the first time my mac has done this and I am presuming it is due to some compatibility update I have installed.

Anyone have any suggestions, shed any light?

Everything is working otherwise.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Tips regarding Spotlight:

As to the Time Capsule, maybe the following can help: Time Machine FAQ

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Resolved

Please do not think I am trying to bump this thread - I am not. I managed to resolve the issue, and thought as I can not be the only person whom this has happened to, I will let you know how I solved it.

I simply re-installed snow leopard, making no changes, not wiping hard drive. Did not restore with time machine and now my time capsule is backing up again and spotlight is working. No idea what changes were made, but it all works.

4. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean rebuilding the Spotlight Index did not work?

Btw, it is alright to post in your own thread to post a solution, that is not considered bumping.

5. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I am very grateful to you for your suggestions, which I tried. Unfortunately spotlight still gave an ETA of 92 hours to rebuild itself. After 15 hours or so it essentially had not moved. Upon re-installing SL spotlight had rebuilt itself within 2 hours and time machine worked.

I do not understand how it happened - somehow I guess something became corrupt? I do not use my mac to its potential - video compression, word processing, spreadsheets, music etc and I do run diskwarrior every so often....

Anyway the install sorted out all problems.

Perhaps, no apple is bigger than microsoft, there is a convergence in the force between them? Who knows one day microsoft may produce a smooth unbuggy OS.........