Time Capsule and Streaming Movies

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marklight, Feb 6, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I'm really interested with the time capsule.

I don't have a wireless router so it's looking like it will fill that void. Plus having a wireless printer is also very nice, but I'm just wondering if I use it as a wireless hard drive, will it be fast enough to stream movies from if I'm using a new macbook pro with wireless N ?

2. arklab macrumors member

Well, most of my experience is from "the dark side" (ie: Vista - although your Macbook can also run it if need be).

The bottleneck will likely be the wireless N transfers rather than the built-in drive transfer speed.

Also you don't mention if you will use an SD analog TV signal, SD digital signal, HD signal from cable/satellite, or (highest bandwidth of all) over-the-air broadcast HD TV signal.

Draft N 2.0 ought to be able to handle SD fine, and quite possibly one HD signal stream.
    As far as two streams (such as from a HDHomerun box ... see here ... I just don't know yet.

An Apple draft N router to an Apple draft N equiped computer should be esp. stable and fast when using the 5 GHz radio (less interference than 2.4 GHz), though distance from one to another can have a big effect too.

Hope it all works for you - and welcome to the black arts! :rolleyes:

3. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

I should be a bit more clear- I'm just going to be putting some of my ripped movies on the time capsule - mostly SD .264 files, but maybe some HD .264 files if I ever give in and purchase a blu ray drive. I wont be far from the unit with my laptop.

4. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

Streaming HD content over wireless can be tough. I tried it with an Airport Extreme N and a D-Link "N" router and it couldn't keep up, so the video kept stopping.

I eventually had to go gigabit wired to get smooth HD streaming from my NAS drives.