Time Capsule and Telus (for Canadians)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by djsound, Jan 14, 2017.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I was using a Time Capsule with Time Machine for backups but recently switched to Telus....now they have their own optic router and just left my house with my Time Capsule disconnected. =)

I just want to use the Time Capsule for backups now, so I have connected their router to mine via LAN ethernet cable. Is this correct? ....seems fine but I don't know the settings for my Airport Utility app now......
    can anyone help? I am not able to do backups now and am nervous.

Thanks fellow Canadians!

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

If I understand correctly, your TC was your main router before, but now the Telus device is your main router, and you want to use the TC for Time Machine backups only. Yes, you can do that.

Use an ethernet cable to connect a LAN port on the Telus device to the WAN port (I'm pretty sure it has to be the WAN port) of the Time Capsule. Now run Airport Utility and it should allow you to configure the TC. Most importantly, on the Network tab, you want the Router Mode to be "Off (Bridge Mode)". On the Wireless tab, you probably want Network Mode to be "Off". (Unless you are using a long ethernet cable and want to use the TC as another wireless access point.)

If Airport Utility won't let you configure the TC or you've forgotten the password(s), you might need to reset the TC to factory settings.

I'd be nervous too, if I wasn't able to do backups! Hope this helps.