Time Capsule and Third Party RAID NAS??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by littvay, Mar 1, 2008.

1. littvay macrumors member

Dear Everyone

I am looking for a good backup solution for time machine. I would love to use Due to personal experiences I do not trust a single backup source so I would like to connect a raid to it.

I know that (unlike the AEx) you can connect an external USB drive to the Time Capsule and use that drive as the time machine backup target drive. What if I connect a RAID NAS to the ethernet of the Time Capsule? (Or even better, how about shared drives on computers connected to the Time Capsule)

If anyone has a way of testing this I'd love to know. (Especially the external NAS RAID.)

Thanks

Levi

2. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I don't know if it will work with an external NAS drive, that will be connected to the WAN port on the back of the base station. But according to this website devices attached to the USB port will be available for backup. Most NAS drives will have a USB connector, instead of using the WAN connect via the USB. For all practicle purposes it will function like a NAS device.

If anyone has any experience, please post.

3. littvay thread starter macrumors member

The one I can buy off a friend here for cheap is an exception (I think).

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10877

So plan B that you propose (though I have considered it) will be more costly (and will remain plan B for now).