Time Capsule and USB Connection to Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robjulo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

My current setup I have a linksys router. I currently have 4 pieces connected via hardwire ethernet (one of which is a printer an HP 6310 all-in-one). I am considering getting the Time Capsule, which I understand has only 3 ethernet inputs.

The solution I came up with (other than connecting one of the three peripherals wirelessly rather than hardwired) is to plug the printer to the Time Capsule using the USB port, rather than via ethernet. Has anyone had experience that this will work just like it does when it is hardwired via ethernet?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The USB port on the AirPort Base Stations does not support multifunction printers. It will allow you to print to them, but will not allow you to scan from the printer to your computer. You'll need to connect it via Ethernet or wirelessly if it's Wi-Fi capable. Another solution would be to get an Ethernet switch to connect to one of your router's LAN ports and connect the printer and any additional devices to that.

Edit: If your Linksys supports it, you can set it up to act as a bridge or switch and use that instead of purchasing a separate switch.

3. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll probably just get a fairly cheap switch for the printer and the desktop (which I rarely use).