Time Capsule and USB HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Sep 13, 2009.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

When I go into Airport Utility I see my USB drive attached to my TC, but I can't access it in Finder. Is there something I need to do first?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Enable File Sharing?

In your Disks tab, select the hard disk in question and make sure that File Sharing is enabled. Also make sure that your disk is formatted HFS+.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

File sharing and Share disks over WAN are both checked. It is NTFS though, I thought I should still be able to read off it. Do I have to format it HFS+? Can I do FAT32?

Thanks for the help.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I've read online, it needs to be formatted either FAT32 or HFS+ in order for the Time Capsule to serve it out to clients. Given the two choices, I would format it HFS+. FAT32 has filesize limitations (no files larger than 4GB allowed). Unless you'll be directly accessing it with a Windows PC, HFS+ will work as both Macs and Windows PCs will be able to access the hard drive once connected to the Time Capsule.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, I will format it and then see if I can get it to work. I just need to find a drive large enough to move the data to first. Maybe I'll just pick up a new drive to throw in the enclosure. Thanks