Time Capsule and Virgin media Super Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevemgough, Jul 1, 2012.

1. stevemgough macrumors member

Ive just treated myself to a 2TB time capsule, I've got it set up and everything is working fine apart from my internet feels slow on my iMac(ethernet), iPhone(wifi 2.4ghz) and iPad(5ghz). Im not a genius when it comes to networks so I'm guessing there is something I'm missing. When i say slow its not drastically slow but there has been a noticeable difference and even loading up mac rumours took a while.

When I set it up i switched off the IP flood and firewall, gave the time capsule a DHCP reservation lease, and added it as the DMZ host and switched off the WIFI. this was all on the super hub.

Should i have done more or do you think its just a pure coincidence that its gone slow??

many thanks Steve

2. kendo88 macrumors regular

I think your making life a bit more difficult for yourself.

I have a Virgin Media SuperHub with an Airport Extreme.

I just set the SuperHub to modem only mode. This will turn off all routing functions and just act as an old fashioned virgin modem. It will leave just ethernet port working to allow you to hook it up to the Time Capsule

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Yep, this is what I do as well. The SH is a lot more stable in modem only mode. You may want to change your DNS settings to use google or openDNS as well.

4. stevemgough thread starter macrumors member

i tried that but i still need access to the ethernet ports, as my super hub is in the loft along with my server but i felt the time capsule was far to sexy to put up there so thats downstairs under the iMac.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

I turned superhub into modem only mode, and plug in my spare router, and even though the router addresses anything fine, the connection from superhub to router just does not pass any data.

Superhub is the worst piece of equipment ive ever been given.