Time Capsule and Vista?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jefflemon, Jul 21, 2008.

1. jefflemon macrumors newbie

Im trying to access files on my time capsule from Vista, I can use its wireless connection fine but I dont know how to view the files on the capsule...

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

Most likely your time capsule is formatted hfs and vista will not be able to read it.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's not true. The Time Capsule allows any computer to see the HDD, regardless of the format. I have my TC connected to an XP and a Vista computer and both can see and access the TC's HDD flawlessly even though the HDDs in the TC are HFS+

What you need to do is add the TC's IP address to any software firewalls installed on Vista. Just add 10.0.1.1 (or whatever IP you've assigned) to the list of trusted networks/zones. Also, be sure to include the workgroup name that your machine is a part of in your TC's setup. Go to Manual Setup > Disks > File Sharing and you'll find a field for your Workgroup name. If that fails, there's a disc that came with your TC. It will have AirPort Utility for Windows. Install that and it will place an icon in your taskbar (AirPort Base Station Agent) which will let you connect to your Time Capsule's HDD.

4. tsvb macrumors 6502

5. jjones99 macrumors newbie

Will this method allow a vista machine to use the autobackup feature and see the TC as a drive option? I thought this was not possible (yet).

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about Vista's autobackup feature. All I am aware of is that Vista is able to see the TC as a networked drive.

Here's an Apple Discussion thread about the subject:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1464253&tstart=2574

This is the google search that yielded that result:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Appl...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Best of luck!