Time Capsule and VPN

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lalanda, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lalanda macrumors newbie

I have a Time Capsule and a DD-WRT Router.

Currently I'm using the TC as a router and back-up drive and the DD-WRT device is not being used.

However, I'd like certain devices to connect to the internet via a VPN service, and others to connect as normal.

I understand it's not possible to connect to VPN on my TC. However, is it possible to set up the DD-WRT router to connect via VPN behind the TC to allow some devices to connect via the TC and some via the DD-WRT router?

So that these states would occur simultaneously:

MODEM > TC > Wireless device

AND

MODEM > TC > DD-WRT Router set up for VPN > Wireless device

Or is this trying to have my cake and eat it too?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I don't see why can't you run a VPN just via TC? I do. However, there's one caveat: TC (or any Apple router for that matter) will act as a VPN server itself only if you turn on it's Back to My Mac feature. In all other cases, you will need a VPN server on your LAN and make proper port forwarding on your router (your TC from your description).

Or did you mean the VPN connection the other way round (inside-out)?

3. lalanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for not being clear.

I don't want to use my router as a VPN to connect with remotely, I want to have it connected to the internet via a VPN service.

Also, I want some devices to connect via the VPN and some via the IP address from my provider (i.e., some to connect to foreign services), but I don't want to have to actively disconnect the VPN each time (I'm not the only one using the router).

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

OK, I see.
    In that case you either
    - connect your computer to VPN, not the router
    - use one of those VPN services, that you can access via DNS redirection.
    As these seem to mostly aim only at fooling the Netflix et al, I am not sure they are full-featured VPN-s at all.