Time capsule and Wi-Fi Only setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmchicago, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jmchicago macrumors member

Hi, i'm considering a time capsule but had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

1) I live in a place where there's wifi throughout the building, so i don't have physical access to a router; does it need to be connected to a router or can i set it up just using wifi?

2) Since it is on a semi-public wifi, would my data be safe being backed up through wifi?

3) will it be any use to get the new faster time capsule or will the speeds be the same if i'm just using it for backups?

thanks in advance!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can set it up as a client on the wi-fi network, in other words such that the Time Capsule is not broadcasting its own network. "Probably" that will work OK on your semi-public network, however there can be issues in that regard - depending on how they're segmenting the access points it's possible that if you're connected to one access point and the TC to another, that they'll be on separate subnets and Bonjour won't work. That could give you problems with your computer seeing the TC. The data will be safe though, you can set up security on the TC and you can even encrypt your backups if you wish.

Performance would be limited by the Wi-Fi network your computer and the TC are attached to, so most likely no benefit in speed with the current version vs. the prior edition. Also throughput will be limited by the bandwidth available and the traffic from other users, so no telling how well it will work in practice.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

The above is good advice. However out of curiosity I looked and I can't find anywhere to set encryption of backups, in either TM settings or TC airport utility. Perhaps I'm missing something or it may be because I'm still running 10.6.8 and have an old 1st-gen TC...

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's a Lion/ML thing, yes :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427