Time Capsule and Windows XP desktop not talking to each other...HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by demoleculizer, Aug 25, 2008.

1. demoleculizer macrumors newbie

Ok here's my setup: I have a 500GB Time Capsule, a Macbook, a Windows Vista laptop, and a Windows XP Dell desktop. The 2 laptops connect to the Time Capsule fine, but my desktop cannot seem to detect the network that I created in my Time Capsule. My desktop does not have any built in wireless so I'm using a Linksys WUSB54G ver.4, which I have used before on other networks and works fine until I moved to my new house and purchased a Time Capsule (came free with my plan). My desktop can detect all other networks in range but the problem is I cannot detect my own network. I have installed the Airport Utility from the CD that comes with the Time Capsule, but to no avail. I really need to work on my desktop so any suggestion/help will be very much appreciated.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

What kind of a network do you have set up? Is it a wireless-N only network or a mixed b/g/n one? If your Linksys adapter is a G adapter (which I'm guessing is the case by the model number), it won't be able to connect to a wireless-N only network. Also, if you're running a 5GHz network, it won't be detected at all.

3. demoleculizer thread starter macrumors newbie

It says 802.11n (80211b/g compatible). My wireless adapter is a 2.4GHz G adapter. It comes with its own config app but I'm using XP's own wireless utility.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

By all means it should work then, assuming you have the latest drivers and firmware. They only suggestions I have are to try the utility that came with the adapter, or to go to the Linksys site and ask in their forums. Hopefully you'll be able to solve it.

5. macleod199 macrumors 6502

It might be worthwhile quickly trying the network with security turned off (obviously while you're not transmitting anything important) to see if you can connect. I had to install several updates to both Windows and my network drivers on my work laptop to get it to support WPA2. For a while I think I had to have the router set to WPA/WPA2, but that seems to be fixed now (actually, I think that was for my gf's laptop, come to think of it).

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's right, I completely forgot about the Windows XP WPA2 Hotfix.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en

7. demoleculizer thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it solve my problem if I just buy a Wireless-N adapter for my desktop?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're using WPA2 security on your network, it might not. The hotfix is for Windows to make it compatible with WPA2 encryption. Try the hotfix first, and if that still doesn't work, I'd suggest trying another adapter if possible. Or if you can, disable your wifi on your Vista laptop, use the adapter on the laptop (if there are Vista drivers for it) and see if you can connect. If it's giving you problems still, then it's either the adapter being faulty or incompatible with Time Capsule. Better still, if you have another XP computer without wifi, you could test the adapter on that one.