Time Capsule and Xbox Live (NOT a wireless question)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by venasque, May 13, 2008.

1. venasque macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm very new to the world of Mac. In fact so new I don't even own one yet. :) I have an opportunity that would allow me to get a Macbook Pro, through work, for next to nothing (part of a bonus thing). I think this would allow me to finally make the jump to trying out the world of Mac with little cost to myself. I've now been doing some research into what I will need to buy and that has lead me here and to my question at hand.

With my current set up I have a standard router (not wireless) with cables that connect my PC and my Xbox 360. As I want to introduce a Macbook to the mix (I'd still keep my PC for the time being) I'd like to switch out my standard router with a wireless one so I can use my Macbook anywhere in my condo. I was thinking about getting Time Capsule because it would kill two birds with one stone while saving desktop real estate. I would have my wireless router and I could make use of the Time Machine feature of Leopard.

There seems to be a lot of information about Xbox Live and Time Capsule. The general consensus is that the two are not on talking terms. However that all seems to be regarding connecting the Xbox 360 wirelessly .

At the moment my 360 is connected with a cable and that works just fine for me. Really I only want the wireless aspect for my Macbook, not my 360, so would I still have problems connecting to Xbox Live if I use my cable set up with Time Capsule as well? Or is there some piece of information I'm missing that makes that a stupid idea?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

2. Limonade3 macrumors newbie

my Xbox Live works perfectly with the Time Capsule. They are just hooked up with an ethernet cable.
    I was having a lot of issues even connected via ethernet cable with my old router, but no issues with the time capsule.

3. Future Blues macrumors member

No problems with an Xbox 360 and Time Capsule here.

Connected through ethernet, of course.

4. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

FWIW, I have no issues with my Airport Extreme and wired 360/XBL.

5. venasque thread starter macrumors member

6. jimmyblanco macrumors newbie

xbox 360 connected to time capsule by ethernet problem

Hi i just recently bought a 500GB time capsule and have replaced my old belkin network setup, now i have my cable modem connected to my TC and my TC to my xbox 360 connected by a ethernet cable.

When i bought my TC i set it up and updated the firmware to 7.3.2 strait away and i tried it with my laptop and it worked fine but on the xbox it would lag i contacted my ISP they told me my speed was fine and suggested moving my TC to a higher location so i did and still the same problem then they said it could be the TC with the problem so i exchanged it for a new TC this time when setting it up i did not update to 7.3.2 and stayed with the old 7.3.1 this time it worked great for both the xbox and the laptops for about 12 hours then the same problem appeared again. Can anyone give me some suggestions to help me with this problem thanks