Time Capsule + APE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mark Octavian, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Mark Octavian macrumors newbie

Hello.

My current network setup is like this:
    — Ethernet cable goes into my flat and is connected to a 5 port switch
    — The switch connects (forks) that cable with two more cables: one goes into an AirPort Express (two MacBooks use that as a hotspot), the other -- into an iMac.
    — Both the AirPort Express and the iMac use different PPPoE accounts (same ISP).

So, instead of plugging the iMac directly into the switch, I want to get a TimeCapsule, so that it becomes a hotspot for the iMac.

Here goes a weird question: will I be able to interconnect TimeCapsule and APE together to use TimeCapsule for TimeMachine on all computers, but still force APE and TC to use their own PPPoE to connect to the internet?

Thanks.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Why would you need an AirPort Express if you're purchasing a Time Capsule? The TC itself is a router. You can effectively replace your Express and connect your iMac to the TC either wirelessly or with Ethernet.

3. Mark Octavian thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I be able to use two different PPPoE accounts? One for the ethernet-connected iMac, the other for the devices on the WiFi network. And if so, will iMac's TimeMachine see the TimeCapsule over the ethernet?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry, I can't figure out why you'd need to use two different PPPoE accounts when you can have the Time Capsule share just one between all devices.

As for the second part of your question, yes the iMac's Time Machine will see the Time Capsule if connected to it with Ethernet.

5. Mark Octavian thread starter macrumors newbie

And I can't figure out why you need to figure out why I need two PPPoE accounts. How is that even relevant? If I tell you why I need two PPPoE accounts, it's not gonna change the fact that TC can or cannot use two PPPoE accounts, now is it?

If you are so interested in my personal life, you can ask. But please don't decide what's best for me and what's not.

Now, if you know the answer to my question, please answer. If not, then just say so.

Somehow you didn't feel the need to figure out why I need iMac to be connected via ethernet when it has WiFi. Thanks.

Sorry if I come off rude, but I'm just tired of explaining to people on fingers why I need two accounts. If they can't figure out such an obvious thing on their own, then it's best they don't overload their brains with excess information.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

Because without some more background info we have no way of knowing what your IT experience is or what your needs are and therefore whether you've got some half-assed setup that could be greatly simplified to your benefit or not, have we?

My guess is that your iMac's using a work-provided account (that can be used for work only) and that your MacBooks are your home machines using your personal account. So, at the risk of overloading you with excess information:

• You have one routing device per PPPoE account (TC and APE in your proposed setup).
    • Each routing device will be serving up its own range of ethernet addresses so the 2 networks won't be visible to each other and your devices will only see what's on their network (i.e. iMac will see TC but the MacBooks won't).
    • Therefore only the iMac will be able to use the TC in your proposed setup.

7. Mark Octavian thread starter macrumors newbie

My needs are: one home network with two ways of internet access.

That way:
    a. Everyone manages their own ISP fees.
    b. If I forget to renew my internet subscription (or just leave town/country for a while), other household members will still have access to the internet, and vice versa.
    c. Our machines don't fight for internet bandwidth, as they would with just one PPPoE account.
    d. We can still access each-other's music/photo libraries and whatnot.

Thanks for the straight-out answer.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Wow, your attitude stinks.

9. Mark Octavian, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

Mark Octavian thread starter macrumors newbie

I know and I've already apologized for that.

But imagine you ask people "Can I open Pages documents in TextEdit?", and they start telling you "Why do you even need those? Just use paper and pencil." And that happens on every website/forum on the planet.

10. skorpien, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

skorpien macrumors 68020

Apologize all you want. The reason I asked what I did was so that I could better answer your question. With an attitude like that, next thread you start, you can be sure I will not reply. Good luck with your setup and in life.

Edit: AirPort Base Stations are incapable of using multiple PPPoE logins, but more full-featured routers, such as those made by Cisco, seem to have that ability. You can purchase one of these routers and connect your TC to it. Disabled DHCP on the TC and you should have what you want, with any computer connecting to either router having access to the TC's HDD and being able to use both PPPoE accounts. Since I had done the research already I figured I might as well share.