Time Capsule + Apple TV, losing network.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macphin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. macphin macrumors member

I've hooked up Apple TV with Time Capsule, through 802.11n 5ghz network, but I've notice constantly dropouts. It appears to be 802.11n 5ghz problem, 2.4ghz works fine. Apple Tv losing network in a short time, then it couldn't connect again. Need to type in password or make a restart. Made Factory Restore to Apple TV, but it doesn't solve the problem. Any solutions?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

could be interference?!?! try different channel frequencies, maybe turn off cordless phones etc to find the culprit or ask what frequency a neighbors wifi is on so as not to cross-over.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

No solution, but I have the same issue.

Worked fine with an AEBS set for 5.0ghz. With the TC set the same way, the AppleTV looses its connection every day or two, which requires me to reselect the WiFi network and type the password back in.

4. macphin thread starter macrumors member

Actually, it is 5Ghz, so it can't be interference. I'm pretty sure that all my neighbors use 802.11g and... cordless phones, microwaves use 2.4ghz. I'm curious if everyone (with same preferences) has the same problem.

5. Kinetic macrumors member

I'm having the exact same problem now. Once I switched it to 5GHz I noticed that if I don't use the ATv for a couple of hours it loses the connection. Also it's a major pain to keep typing in the password. The second I set it down to 2.4Ghz, no problems. I've called Apple but they say they haven't heard it being a problem and had me jump through the usual hoops and to call back if it happens again. :rolleyes:

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I get some free time tonight, I'll call them about this too. Maybe if they notice a trend, they'll hop on it faster?

7. Kinetic macrumors member

Great idea. When it happens to me again, I'll be calling back too. Maybe they'll just get sick of me calling and fix it. :p

8. Kinetic macrumors member

One more thing. I went to their product feedback site to list it as a bug and noticed that for the AppleTv, the drop down list for the OS versions aren't even up to date (while other products are). I guess it goes to show that ATv really isn't on their priority list. The funny thing is, I entered feedback on their website to tell them that their ATv feedback form is out of date!

9. macphin thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have to say that after yesterday's updates this problem disapeared. I've leaved Apple TV overnight, no dropouts... So far so good, and actually I have to say that these updates definitely increased both read and write speed. I've never had ~ 9,80mb/sec for a received data. But thats only with 5ghz...

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was hoping last nights firmware update would have an effect on my network problems, but it didn't. What did have an immediate effect was to move the ATV from its perch on my DVD player to about 2-3 inches above it on cardboard boxes. Try relocating yours away from things that can affect the antennas...

B

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I've had the same problem but haven't checked since the update ... I'll edit this later when I get a chance to test.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just rejoined my ATV back to my network after doing the TC upgrade. I'll post back if it drops again.