Time Capsule: Archive Disk feature - What is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opinio, Jun 28, 2013.

1. opinio macrumors 65816

I have a 2013 TC. I am wondering what the 'Archive Disk' feature in the AirPort app does? I have never bothered with it. Does it simply back up what is on the internal drive to an external USB drive? Is so what is the use of that... You could do that anyway with any Mac.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, it lets you copy the data from the Time Capsule to an external USB drive, for example to make an off-site backup.

The benefit of using that instead of a Mac is that the archive function takes place entirely on the Time Capsule. The Mac doesn't have to remain on, and the data goes directly from the TC to the external disk (if you copied it from the Mac, the data would actually have to go through the network).

3. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point.

But I take it it is a one-off copy feature. I am guessing it was designed to allow you to offload a full internal Time Machine disk to an external backup so you could then erase the internal and start again (or variants of that scenario).

Or to copy the data off the drive if you planned to sell the TC or erase the drive.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Correct, or to simply create a copy for offsite storage.

5. 1957GoldTop macrumors newbie

This is what I expected... however I'm doing this right now with a USB drive attached to the Time Capsule and it's saying it's going to take 24 hours to "archive" 1.7TB of data.

It sure sounds like that's going over the network to me even though the drive is directly connected. What's going on?

Thanks!

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

USB drives run through the USB port on the Time Capsule are generally about 25 MB/s. Couple that with overhead and the actually processes that must go on in the background and that 24 hour time frame is about right for the 1.7 TB archive.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

1957GoldTop is correct - the Time Capsule USB ports are USB 2.0 so pretty slow for a full clone.

I've quit doing that for my off-sites; now I use Time Capsule for local backups and CrashPlan as an off-site safety net. Archiving the TC backups was too inconvenient, which meant that it didn't get done frequently enough to be effective as an off-site.

8. Time Rider macrumors newbie

How to use the ATC Archive?

Assuming I have done an Archive of the ATC, how can I use it? Can I plug the external HDD to another ATC to restore the archive?

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I was actually just wondering this myself! Does anyone know?

10. Littlepixel™ macrumors newbie

Littlepixel™

The idea I think is you can crack open the unit and swap out the drives - at least - that's what I do.