Time Capsule as a file server??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haoqfu, Jan 17, 2008.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

does anyone know whether time capsule is able to serve as a file server, so that i can have access to my data when i'm away from home? thanks!

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i guess you should wait until the product ships to ask this.

3. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That would make it more than a regular NAS file server. It would need to have HTTP/FTP/WebDav services for your data to be accessible outside of your LAN.

5. jredmond macrumors newbie

jredmond

Sshfs

You wouldn't necessarily need HTTP and WebDAV. As long as the Time Capsule supports SSH, you could access its contents remotely through SSHFS.

6. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

No it wouldn't. Assuming it has all the features of the AEBS you can mount it remotely as an AFP or SMB share provided you enable remote access. (not sure if windows can connect to remove SMB shares, I assume so)

7. Albearendil macrumors newbie

Time Capsule as a file server!

Yes it is possible, though not as a ftp, ssh or similar. There are different options, and of course it depends on the architecture of the system. For example, if the time capsule (from now on, TC) is local at our home/ or work, the way to get access to it can be: via AFP for MAC (afp://dir_ip/name_server), via mount_afp for Linux (mount_afp afp://dir_ip/name_server /our_folder), via SMB with windwos (smb://dir_ip/name_server).

If for instance the local time capsule is remote, it is also possible to connect it by using either MAc, Linux or windows. You can contact me alberto@cedint.upm.es, and i can give u further information

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as Alb said, it certainly is possible - just ensure that your router/modem is correctly forwarding to the TC and its good to go! i do this every day, unfortuntaely it only supports AFP, i havent tried FTP/SMB.

9. ragmaxone macrumors newbie

Time Capsule IS a file server using AFP and/or SMB. you can use NAT to access your data when away from home, even control it.

I need SSH to change some details for the users :( any info ?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

SSH into the Time Capsule? i dont think thats possible. what do you need to change?