Time Capsule as a router question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rapidj, Jul 21, 2008.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I'm ready to upgrade my backup drive to take advantage of Leopard's Time Machine. I'm trying to decide between a simple 500 GB firewire drive or spending the extra for the Time Capsule. I have and intel iMac and an older 12 inch powerbook so I understand the advantages of wirelessly backing up my info.

My question is this - in reading reviews, its suggested that I use Time Capsule as the primary router. However, I had AT&T install U-Verse cable and DSL in my house a few months back and it works flawlessly. I'm using the 2Wire AT&T Uverse modem/router as my router. Can I easily make the Time Capsule my primary router without disrupting what is currently a very good network and is it a simple adjustment? Also, if I opt to make Time Capsule part of the network and use my current AT&T router as the primary, will I notice a significant slowdown as some reviews have suggested.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    Kory

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It sounds like you're perfectly happy with your current wireless network so I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe it's best to not replace it...

I have a time capsule network in my house, but as many will attest to, it can be slow at times. It's not so "perfect," and there are issues with it.

So, what kind of router do you currently have? If it has an ethernet port, why not get something like this?

It will cost you half as much as a Time Capsule, will allow you to do the exact same thing, and it won't disturb your current network's "ecosystem" haha. :D

3. lannamama macrumors newbie

Lacie is not perfect

I have the Lacie referenced above. First of all, it does NOT do the same thing as the time capsule.

For starters, it does NOT work with the Apple backup software. Second, the backup software that comes with it, "Lacie 1 Click Backup" is also very SLOW and it is very limited. Does just basic backup.