Time Capsule as a server with outside access

pjlander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
I searched the threads and couldn't get a straight answer, so I am posting now. Direct me to a thread if this has been answered clearly.

I have a TC set up at home and it works fine, just looking to get more out of it now, if possible. I run a small business and I want a contract employee to be able to access it for file use in a windows program. He lives in another state.

1. How can I direct him to my TC via internet? He only works in windows. Basically, I want him to have read/write access to my TC.

2. Obviously if number 1 can work, then how can I, using my MBP, connect to my TC when I am away from it (not home).

Do i do this with IP addresses and workgroups? If so, I dont know how to set that up.

Thanks.
Jason

pjlander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
I was thinking about buying the mac mini w/ snow leopard to use it as a server for the reason stated above. My extra machine is an older iMac and my son uses it for games and internet. I read somewhere about using TC as a server, but it didn't explain how. Any ideas?

Comment

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
you could really even do that with windows. there are ftp server programs but hey, I can't really recommend doing anything networking wise with windows, but if you have a computer that can mount the drive, with the proper permissions you should be able to give anyone FTP access. It would be no different (in linux/unix) than mounting a second internal hard drive and accessing it with ftp. I accomplish this very task with a usb hard drive and ubuntu, which I suspect is a pretty similar set of circumstances.

Comment

pjlander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
all that is over my head. i really just need to know how my contract employee can access my TC from his house. if possible.

Comment

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I believe the AEBS and TC can be hit remotely using iDisk (MobileMe). I'm not familiar with it though since I dont have that service.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.