Time Capsule as a server with outside access

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pjlander, Nov 24, 2009.

1. pjlander macrumors member

pjlander

I searched the threads and couldn't get a straight answer, so I am posting now. Direct me to a thread if this has been answered clearly.

I have a TC set up at home and it works fine, just looking to get more out of it now, if possible. I run a small business and I want a contract employee to be able to access it for file use in a windows program. He lives in another state.

1. How can I direct him to my TC via internet? He only works in windows. Basically, I want him to have read/write access to my TC.

2. Obviously if number 1 can work, then how can I, using my MBP, connect to my TC when I am away from it (not home).

Do i do this with IP addresses and workgroups? If so, I dont know how to set that up.

Thanks.
    Jason

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if you have an extra machine at home, why not setup an FTP server and have your guys hit it.

3. pjlander thread starter macrumors member

pjlander

I was thinking about buying the mac mini w/ snow leopard to use it as a server for the reason stated above. My extra machine is an older iMac and my son uses it for games and internet. I read somewhere about using TC as a server, but it didn't explain how. Any ideas?

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

you could really even do that with windows. there are ftp server programs but hey, I can't really recommend doing anything networking wise with windows, but if you have a computer that can mount the drive, with the proper permissions you should be able to give anyone FTP access. It would be no different (in linux/unix) than mounting a second internal hard drive and accessing it with ftp. I accomplish this very task with a usb hard drive and ubuntu, which I suspect is a pretty similar set of circumstances.

5. pjlander thread starter macrumors member

pjlander

all that is over my head. i really just need to know how my contract employee can access my TC from his house. if possible.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I believe the AEBS and TC can be hit remotely using iDisk (MobileMe). I'm not familiar with it though since I dont have that service.