Time Capsule as a WiFi base?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bmode, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Bmode macrumors regular

I've been on a Mac for 12 years now, why is the wireless stuff so difficult all of a sudden?

Here's my situation, my friend has a iMac 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, and she just got Time Capsule and AppleTV. She's on TWC's Road Runner cable modem, and I've jumped the ethernet cable to use the Time Capsule as a router and WiFi to feed the AppleTV and AirTunes in the other rooms.

Here's the question, can Time Capsule act as wireless router for AppleTV and AirTunes, plus be the back up HD for Time Machine? I already got the Airtunes working well with the iMac, but I couldn't get the AppleTV on the wireless network? In fact, it didn't even come up in the iTunes area and I did select look for AppleTV's?

After two hours, I even lost the TWC box feed for normal internet? It's crazy, I'm usually pretty good with sort of thing, but I've hit a brick wall, anyone have any ideas? I appreciate your time for just reading, thanks.

2. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

I must say, this forum is getting beat by Mac-Forums. They seem to be more active and responsive over there? :(

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I think the forum here is active enough, it's just more likely that nobody knows what's wrong. My best advice for you is to restart the TC if you haven't already, if things are still awry, open up AirPort Utility and see if there's anything that you need to fix in there (I don't own a TC so I would have no idea, but that's what I would do).

4. lokipower macrumors member

I am not sure what is wrong, I am using this setup exactly as you have mentioned. I used to ue the TC as a iTunes library, but it was too slow for the videos, so now it is just used for temporary holding until I can sort stuff. Bu basically it acts as a base station. I am not sure what else to tell you, like the previosu poster said, try restarting. ANother thing is to check to make sure you initially setup your :apple:TV via ethernet, I had a problem at first until I plugged it in, and it made it much easier.

Hope that helps.

And as far as MacRumors, I've been on for 1 week now, and let me tell you, I have had more answered than the 2 months of me owning my macs and having them sit in a box because I could not figure it out. Give it time..

Keep posting, if I can help further I will.

5. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Ah there we go somebody's home! Your right, not many people have Time Capsule. Thanks for responding though.

I think I'll try to hook up the AppleTV via ethernet first then once I establish a connection, try to put it on the wireless network. Good idea. I tried the restarts on every device so far, it's hard to know what's working in the chain. The TWC modem is helping either, it's a piece of junk actually. I have TWC Road Runner at my house, and I have a different modem, which is much better and more responsive.

I'll give it a shot guys, thanks!

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get this to work. There's probably some sort of configuration trick that you just haven't gotten set right yet. But the TC can definitely act as a wifi router, and you can connect all those devices to it wireless and with an ethernet cable. Your TWC problems are, well, TWC problems. Good luck!

7. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed! It probably is a setting some where in the preferences, oye, what a pain in the arse. Thanks again!

8. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

I went back and got the internet up hard connect and wirelessly with the airtunes, but I still could not see the appletv, so I brought it home to my place and it worked flawlessly.

Here's my question, where in the heck is the wireless network setup and display in the 24" iMac? I used the Airport utility and it displayed the Time Capsule and Airport Express with green lights, but no AppleTV? iTunes also did not display the AppleTV under the preferenes? What other software in the Mac can display networks?

9. Wanderer macrumors member

I believe that you can only see the AppleTV through the iTunes interface. It's designed that way. At least that is the way mine works.

10. ascender macrumors 68000

Does the ATV actually see the wifi network and connect to it OK through its menus? I guess that's the first step.

Then, does it let you select the shared library from the iMac? That process should end with it displaying the sequence of numbers which need to be entered on iTunes.

Just trying to establish how far you're getting.

11. Bmode thread starter macrumors regular

I got everything to work finally. Yes, the Appletv sees the wireless network and your neighbors if possible. The key here is to get the password right and lock it down with a WPA2. Then yes, you can share one iTunes library with AppleTV, it works great.

I took the Airport express completely out of the loop thanks to AppleTV, but I may add it back to her bedroom for more possibilities. :)