Time Capsule as an External Hard Drive + Ethernet Cable question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slumpey326, Mar 21, 2011.

1. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

In reading up on the Time Capsule, it can be used as a router and for storage purposes.

Some questions:
    1) can the Time Capsule be used just as an external hard drive, not for back up purposes at all? Is there a setting that needs to be checked to make sure that it doesnt back up anything at all.

2) can I move files from a macbook or pc to the time capsule via an ethernet cable for faster speeds? Do I need a special ethernet cable?

3) can I also move files from a macbook or pc to the time capsule via wifi if I want, just wondering if it is possible?

2. Shambles macrumors regular

1) Yes, I can't see why not. It should just show up as a harddrive on your Mac.

2) I don't think Ethernet cables can be used to transfer files..

3) Yes, that is the key selling point of the Time Capsule, it's wireless.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It is actually recommended to hardwire your computer to the TC via Ethernet cable for the initial backup.

That said, if all you want is Network Attached Storage, there are plenty of other companies that will sell you something cheaper and with more features and better performance than Apple.

The Time Capsule and AEBS with a disk attached don't have great throughput under the best of conditions and unlike many other NAS devices they can't be used to stream content to DLNA devices or iTunes.

B