Time Capsule as both a back-up device AND network storage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by the7th1, Jul 22, 2011.

1. the7th1 macrumors member

Hi all,

Strongly considering buying the updated 2TB Time Capsule, for making Time Machine backups of the two MBP's in our household, and at the same time store all our music, photos and videos there, for easy acces on MBP's, iPads, iPod Touchs etc.

Is that possible? And is it easy to setup? Is there an even better way of doing such a thing?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. glennsan macrumors regular

Time Capsule as NAS

I am doing the exact same thing as you. So far so good in reference to being able to see the files from other media types. Did not have to do anything out of the ordinary. Just set it up and copy the files. I have no experience with any other NAS so I cannot comment on if anything else would be better.

Glennsan

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I used to have the same setup, but , found that access slowed to a crawl once the backups got to the point of using up the alloted space (so 1TB of the 2 TB space), im assuming the cleanup opperation when the timecapsule nears capacity + file access on the other partition had this effect.

to resolve the issue, i stuck an external USB drive in the USB port on the back of the TC, left the TC purely for backup and shared out the external drive for network use, works like a dream, ive since added a powered USB hub and another drive, with space for another two drives at a later date.

4. glennsan macrumors regular

I still have over a TB of free space left so I have not run into that issue. I am hoping to be able to keep the desk usage down by deleting backups as I do not need a longterm strategy just if a recent file gets deleted.

Glennsan

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

It sounds like a fairly streamlined idea. The problem is that you are storing backups on the same drive as your files, so essentially its not really "backed up" and protecting you from hard drive failure. Basically, if the Time Capsule breaks you lose EVERYTHING.

Nightarchaons earlier post had a much better idea. buy an external drive and plug it in the usb port on your time capsule. This gives you a backup/time machine drive and another for network storage

6. glennsan macrumors regular

I should have been more specific. I also do have a USB drive that I plug in into the Time Capsule and do an archive every week or so. The only problem I have with that is it takes SO long to backup almost 1TB over USB 2.0. Basically all night.

Glennsan